• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Profile first doesn't wash properly, sometimes drains, then overflows

WallyBean

Premium Member
Model Number
PDW9280N00SS
Brand
GE
I moved into the house that has this dishwasher a few months ago, it's been working perfectly.

A few days ago it started not cleaning properly. Soap was still left in the dispenser and sometimes water didn't seem to be cycling at all.

I poured some water in to try to dislodge any gunk if there was any, but it seemed to drain fine. After pouring the water, the dishwasher ran pretty well for some reason.

The next time, it didn't run again (machine was running, no water coming out), so I poured more water into the bottom and then it ran.

I should mention that it seems to be draining fine no matter what I'm doing.

Yesterday, with the machine completely off, I heard water pouring into it. I opened to door and saw water pouring in from the hole near the bottom (no idea what anything is called). It got to the point where it was overflowing and pouring onto the floor. I turned on the rinse cycle and as soon as it kicked in I cancelled it and everything drained properly.

This machine doesn't have an air gap, but it has a tube running high up under the sink (really wish I knew the names for all this stuff, sorry for sounding like a moron). I tapped the overflow cap thing but it doesn't seem stuck.

Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's interesting, so water was pouring in from the bottom not the side where it fills with water when you start a new cycle?

Can you take a photo of where the water was pouring in from? And also a photo underneath your sink where the drain hose runs too? Then upload the photos here.

Sounds like you have siphoning issue, buts that's very odd was pouring in from the bottom, was there any water running at the sink when that happened? Or was anyone in the house running water (like someone taking a shower) OR was your washing machine running when that happened?

Jake

WallyBean

Premium Member
I think I might have explained things badly. Water was coming in from the intake at the bottom (where it should be coming in), but the dishwasher was completely off at the time.

2015-02-24 09.18.10.jpg

Here are two pictures of the hose - it doesn't feel like it's clogged or anything and the sink is draining fine.

2015-02-24 09.18.50.jpg2015-02-24 09.19.14.jpg

And no, nothing else was running at the time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I see now.

The water inlet valve has gone bad on you, there is solenoid in the water inlet valve thats not closing all the way, thus that's why water is coming out of that intake in your 1st photo when the dishwasher is not ON.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order:
Water Inlet Valve WD15X10014 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video to replace it:

[video=youtube;75UUl_P6-rQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75UUl_P6-rQ[/video]

Jake

WallyBean

Premium Member
That would be great if that's all it was.

The first symptom we had that something was wrong was that the water was running but some of the detergent was left in the dispenser tray and the dishes weren't properly cleaned. Does that make sense if this is the problem and will replacing this inlet valve solve this?

Thanks again for your help so far

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, correct, it will fix that first issue you had as well.:)

Jake