GE Profile Gas Range Probe Sensor Problem

Billaban

Premium Member
Model Number
PGB916SEMSS
Brand
GE
Greetings,

For quite some time now whenever I preheat the oven the probe sensor beeps for several minutes and then quits. I don't believe I have ever actually used the probe. Otherwise the unit works just fine. Obviously I can live with this new feature but suspect that someday the issue(s) will get worse. Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Billaban

Premium Member
My bad. I didn't proof my entry very well. I have the original receipt. Model # PGB916SEMSS.

Now trying to figure out how to edit original post.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

So are you talking about the meat probe? Cant you just remove the probe from the oven?

Jake

Billaban

Premium Member
Yes, the meat probe. It is not installed. Never has been. Still in the drawer next to the stove where I put it in 2009 when I bought this stove.

The problem is the probe sensor display on the stove console blinks and beeps for no apparent reason for several minutes while the oven is preheating. Sorry if I was ambiguous.

My guess is this blinking/beeping event is what is suppose to happen when you are using the probe and the sensor reaches the desired temp, i.e., time to take the roast out of the oven. Seems odd since I have never programmed the stove to use the sensor. Maybe I should try it and see what happens. Perhaps a pot of water in the oven w/ the sensor probe immersed would be an interesting experiment.

Some months ago I tried resetting the stove electronics by turning the circuit off for a few minutes. That had no affect.

I'll try my new experiment this evening.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh ok, got it.

Yes I'm not sure why its beeping then, I haven't run into that issue before.

Jake

EngineerMom

We're having a similar issue on a GE Profile model number JGB910CEC3CC

Pulled it out yesterday to clean the floor and sides, and when we pushed it back in, the display started alternately flashing "Probe" and "Bake". It won't preheat, stops the preheat cycle just a couple of seconds in to beep and flash "Probe" and "Bake". It was working fine, seems like an electrical or computer problem. I tried resetting the breaker the stove is on (rather than turn the stove directly on and off, which would involve pulling it out again.), but other than resetting the clock, that did nothing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have the meat probe in or is it out?

You will want to check the resistance of the meat probe at the control board. When testing you want the meat probe plugged in and sitting in boiling hot water (temp 210 degrees). The resistance should be between 3800 and 4000 ohms. If not then the meat probe is bad and would need to be replaced.

There should be a connection the the control board that says meat probe on the control board. That's where you ohm test it at.

Here's the meat probe for your model:
GE WB20X5050 Meat Probe - AppliancePartsPros.com

If your meat probe ohms out fine, then its likely a problem in the meat probe receptacle.

Receptacle WB18K10006 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
GE profile range/oven - probe sensor beeps continually when heating oven
Hi,

You will need to start a new thread with your model number please.

To Start a NEW THREAD:

You go to the forum that your appliance is in, then you will see a "+ Post New Thread" button on the top left side of that forum, and thats it, just click + Post New Thread.

Jake