• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Profile Microwave PVM9005FM1DS - light on and fan runs constantly

DrVille

Premium Member
Joined
May 17, 2017
Messages
6
Location
Louisville, KY
Model Number
PVM9005FM1DS
Brand
GE
Age
1-5 years
GE Profile Over the Range microwave - Model PVM9005FM1DS

Unit is just over 1 year old and cooks fine.

However, interior light and fan run constantly. This is the interior fan, not the vent/exhaust fan.
Unplugging / hard reset does not help.

When the door is opened, the light will stay on but the fan will turn off.

Any ideas on a fix?

IMG_4930.jpg
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
44,790
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Unplug the machine. Open the door and access the latch assembly and interlock switches on the right. (the two hooks on the door go into the latch assembly) On your model it might be easier to pull it out and remove the cover. The problem is one of the interlock switches. Check the switches for continuity one at a time. Remove the wires and check by opening and closing the door.
 

DrVille

Premium Member
Joined
May 17, 2017
Messages
6
Location
Louisville, KY
Thanks for the help Rick - once again you guys have come through with expert advice.

Update on this issue:
I opened the panel and located the two latch switches. I disconnected the top switch, plugged the microwave back in, and the problem stopped.
So, the top switch was the problem.

The good part is that when I reconnected the switch, the microwave still operated fine. So, apparently, just disconnecting-reconnecting the switch reset the latch and took care of the problem.

So, at least for now, everything is working fine, and if it happens again, I will know where to look.

Thanks a lot!
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
44,790
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Next time you open it up, spray a little WD40 on the switch buttons then open and close the door a few times (unplug machine). Sometimes the switches get sticky. It will probably go out again. Glad you got it working! Thanks for the update. :)
 

mclouthier

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2021
Messages
3
Location
Michigan
Unplug the machine. Open the door and access the latch assembly and interlock switches on the right. (the two hooks on the door go into the latch assembly) On your model it might be easier to pull it out and remove the cover. The problem is one of the interlock switches. Check the switches for continuity one at a time. Remove the wires and check by opening and closing the door.
Hello - I had the same thing happen on my 1yr old microwave today. I am not savvy at removing the latch is there a diagram or picture that can point to disassembly please?
 

mclouthier

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2021
Messages
3
Location
Michigan
This worked for me. For those who have this model. To remove the panel - with door open - first must remove the plastic cover over the filter (two screws), gently pull vented cover toward you and off. Then remove two top and two bottom screws on panel right side facing.
Gently push panel up (sliding). It is held in by hooks… then you can remove the panel.

The switch will be easily seen just inside and adjacent to where the latch connects. Disconnect the wires harness and press in the tiny yellow or white buttons (actuary switch).

This depressing of the switch apparently fixes the problem (most likely due to grease goop that causes it to stick.) put the latch harness back on - temporarily put the panel back in place and retest.

It worked -
 
Top