FIXED GE Profile Oven F7 error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kameron

Model Number
GE Oven
Brand
GE
My GE Profile built in convection/thermal wall oven constantly flashes F7 error messages. In the past I've been able to clean the ribbon wire to the display panel and it would resume normal operation, but lately no luck.
Any advice?

SDDK

Four cases of F7's!

Three of my neighbors and I have the same GE profile double oven (new home development) and we've all have the same problem as you described-F7. I discovered the old clean the flex cable connector trick and it worked great at the start. It seems the problem occurs more frequently over time, however.

One of my friends also bought a similar model GE double oven (without consulting me) and has just obtained the same error.

As far as I can tell, to replace the control pad and ERC, the cost is approx. $250-300, to replace them myself. I guess I weary of getting this fixed if it's a design problem. What if the error occurs a year later? Would like to approach GE with my neighbors and see if they'd be willing to cut us some slack. Not sure at this point...

Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Very interesting that all 4 of you have the same F7's.

Jake

Powerman

Premium Member
GE Oven F7 error message solution

I have a five year old Kenmore double oven using a GE control. The control "failed" after four and one-half years. I replaced the ERC and touchpanel. The replacement failed after four months! Being an engineer, I was determined to find the root cause of these failures. After a period of investigation, I found what I believe to be the basic problem and have developed a simple fix. So now I have a working oven and a working spare set of controls. If anyone wishes to know more, they can e-mail me at hutchipop@yahoo.com.

Rascal Audio

Greetings, all!

I highly recommend Powerman's 'fix' offered above. My GE oven woke me up VERY early this morning chiming the F7 warning and the only thing I could do to keep it quiet was shut the breaker off. :mad: After a brief internet search, I found this forum and contacted Powerman for his fix.

It took me all of about 30 minutes to perform, since I was reading his documentation and had never looked behind the control panel of my oven before. If I had to do it now it'd take 5 minutes max, no more. Simple, quick fix and costs nothing.

'F7' warning is now gone, and the oven functions perfectly! :D

Also, in case anyone is wondering, this fix does not change the functionality of the oven (it's not like disarming a sensor or something to make the thing shut up). It basically addresses the fault in the design.

Contact him at the address above if you're interested in a quick, free fix. Highly recommended!

Joel

TwinsDad

What's the secret to the F7 error fix?

Hmm, I have written Powerman twice about his fix for the F7 error, but he may be too busy or unavailable to reply. What's the secret? We have an 8-year-old GE double wall oven which has worked without problems until recently, but now we cannot get rid of the F7 error. Before I plunk $150+ for a new control panel, I'd like to see if this fix will work. From these postings, it sounds like there's a fundamental problem with the design of this control.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I emailed Powerman about a month or 2 ago, to see if he would make his repair public, instead of emailing him for it, he said he would after he got back from a trip he had to take out of the country, guess he had some other problems to deal with, so I don't know if he will be back or not.

Jake

slwjd

The solution developed by Powerman worked like a charm and was accomplished in 10 minutes total! Big thanks to Powerman for coming up with this solution. Also a Big thanks to Rascal Audio for helping out!!!

jake in VA

"F7'd" on Thanksgiving

I have a single builtin electric wall oven GE truetemp model JKP15 purchased in 1999. The only way to stop the F7 error and the alert tone that goes with it is flip the breaker. Will the double oven fix work for me?

Beagle72

Premium Member
GE Oven JKP15

My oven just started displaying an F0 error with beeping. Anyone know what the difference is in the F7 and F0 codes?

Seems everyone has the F7 code.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
They are basically the same.

Here is a test to find out whether its your control panel or control board:

Determine if problem is with the Key Panel or Control Board by:
1. Pushing CLEAR/OFF pad.
2. Disconnecting Ribbon Cable from control and waiting at least 32 seconds to see if Code recurs

If code recurs, problem is in the control. Replace control board.

If code does not recur, problem is with the Key Panel.

Jake

Beagle72

Premium Member
F0 code

I took the panel off and the ribbon cable clip was loose. Not in the socket, but the plastic clip has 2 clips on each side and it had become separated. I had tried the other things before and to no avail, but the snapping the clip back together seems to be working for now.

If it reoccurs can you buy a new ribbon cable? Doesn't seem to be on the parts list.

LouCioccio

Premium Member
F7 error

I too have been getting the F7 errror off my GE Profile JKP56 double oven. I even tried the erasure on the ribbon end. It would seem to cure it; but came back. Now the lower oven want to come on. I was going to order a Keypad but started to look at the connector. The white connector for jp1 may have a bad solder joint(s). It does move ever so slightly. I was going to try to place a shim behind it but the caps are too far away. I then used scotch tape. I looped the tape around the ribbon keeping it flat and then tape the end to the top a the plastic fascia to give it tension. I noticed when I had the control hanging out I would get the error but if I applied upward and forward presure I could clear the error, set the clock and even turn the oven light on. It has been a couple of hours. I do not want to mess with it till after the holiday. I may take the control board off and apply some heat from a solder iron and remelt the solder to the connector.

Powerman

Premium Member
Fix for GE oven F7 error message

Hi LouCioccio,
If you email me at hutchipop@yahoo.com with your email address, I will send you my fix for the F7 error message. In the past six months, I have had over 430 requests. No charge for this service.
Merry Christmas
Charlie Popeck

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Powerman: Just post the fix here.:)

Jake

LouCioccio

Premium Member
F7 update

First time in a few years "No Problems" running the double oven. Earlier I told you that used scotch tape wraped around the key pad flat ribbon cable and attached to the inside fascia. It seems to work; we had no trouble using the double oven (upper and lower) and was able to use the timer and shut off the oven at the key pad. Usually I had to go to the breaker box and shut off the circuit breaker and usually waited 1 min for the caps to discharge beore turning it on. I will be back at work in the GE lab next week and will inspect the JP1 connector on both sides of the circuit board. I will update after the new year.

Ciao,
Lou Cioccio

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok folks, sorry about the delay in posting Powerman's(Charlie's) fix, but I have been swamped lately with tons of work.

Jake

Attachments

truetemp1

Thanks for posting the F7 fix

Thanks to Powerman for coming up with the "F7 fix" and Jake for posting it -- now I can tell everybody how I fixed my oven with an index card!

Status
Not open for further replies.