• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Profile PDW8880L00SS Stops mid-cycle but able to complete full cycle after retries

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksan

Premium Member
Model Number
PDW8880L00SS
Brand
GE
Hi All,

I have a GE Profile dishwasher, Model PDW8880L00SS that's about 14-15 years old.

It was moderately used, if that much, over the years, but with COVID, we have stayed home a lot more and that results in more dishes. Hence, we now use the dishwasher on a daily basis.

In the last couple of months, we have noticed that the dishwasher would intermittently stop mid-cycle, mostly after the initial stage when the water is being pumped in.(When I open it up, I can see water in the bottom of the tub) It would beep once and then stop the cycle. I would then hit start again. and then it would either do it again or sometimes go ahead and complete the cycle successfully. Seems pretty random.

I've also noticed at times, it would stop deeper into the cycle and would notice the detergent pod still intact on the floor of the inner tub. Strange...

On occasion, it would be stopped and I would hit the start button which triggers a draining of the tub...then it would stop. I would then have to click start again. Sometimes it'll do the full cycle. Other times, it would once again stop mid-stream.

So every day, it's a crap shoot. But most of the time after several retries, it appears to complete the cycle fine.

I was thinking that 15 years is a pretty good run, so was going to buy a new one, but wanted to see if there was a quick fix before shelling out the money to buy new.

Thanks!
Nick

nicksan

Premium Member
More information:
  1. I always use the Normal cycle with heated dry.
  2. I noticed that the 3 digit time for the cycle changes from cycle to cycle. Currently it's showing 92. Other times it would be over 100 or under 90. Not sure what that's all about.
  3. Door latch appears to be solid. Nothing jiggling around. I read that this could be a problem, but I assume since it eventually completes a cycle, this is not likely to be the case?
  4. I read that it could also be the control module, but if that was the case, would the dishwasher be able to run the full cycle?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Nick,

Door latch appears to be solid. Nothing jiggling around. I read that this could be a problem, but I assume since it eventually completes a cycle, this is not likely to be the case?
That is correct, if the door latch was the problem it would never be able to restart to complete the cycle.

I read that it could also be the control module, but if that was the case, would the dishwasher be able to run the full cycle?
Yes, the problem would be the control module, after it stops running, looks of folks mentioned it would then finish the cycle, or occasionally run a complete full cycle.

Lots of people have mentioned this same thing too happening to them:

Here's the control module for your model you can order:
WD21X10370 Module Control Asm

Here's the service manual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzvgAyLTSh14M290WndrS081cnc

Page 27 tells you how to replace that control module.

Jake

nicksan

Premium Member
So it's possible that the unit runs a full cycle even though the control module is bad? Is there a way to check blinking lights or anything like that to figure out the exact nature of the issue or are there enough similar cases that we can deduce it as the control module?

I read the service manual and it appears that I need to remove the door. I assume this is something that anyone who's somewhat competent with tools, wiring, etc. would be able to tackle?

Thanks!!!
Nick

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So it's possible that the unit runs a full cycle even though the control module is bad?
Intermittently bad, You bet!

Try to run it in service mode.

Usually when the machine won't run a cycle all the way through, but will run in service mode the problem is with the control module.

Also--->If it will NOT complete the “factory test mode”, then control module bad as well.

Jake

nicksan

Premium Member
Just wanted to report back. I replaced the control module.

In order to do this, I killed the power to the unit, removed around 12 screws (all Phillip's head), plus the screw the holds the control module in place, and also carefully pull out the connectors and the ribbons as to not tear them.

I put everything back together, switched the power back on and ran the recommended calibration process. Hardware part took about 15 minutes and the calibration process ran for a good 70min.

Everything passed and 4 days later it has run 4 nightly cycles without missing a beat.

Was going to use the dishwasher going down to buy $8k worth of appliances, but this put a stop to that. Not sure if that was actually a good thing, but hey, I'll take it for now!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Nick, glad to hear the new control module fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.