• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

bladpart

Premium Member
Model Number
PFSS5RKZASS
Brand
GE
The water line on my french door keeps freezing up. I noticed that for some of the GE side by sides, they've issued water line heaters that are installed just under the dispensing tube (more or less). Anyone know if GE has issued some kind of heater element retrofit kit for the PFSS5RKZASS water line? I think it could already have a built in heater for the dispenser, but I'm not sure if I'm understanding the service manual correctly. Does anyone have any tips here?

Just reviewing the service manual and parts lists, it looks like there's a duct door heater that can be purchased. I can check the resistance on this part to see if it's not operating, but either way I don't believe that part impacts the water line. Aside from that I notice that the service manual mentions a "Fill Tube Heater" on pg. 63. It has the notes "Replaced as door assembly" which isn't encouraging, and "Fill Tube heater will be on after water valve activation or when ice is dispensed." I assume this fill tube refers to the water dispenser tubing. Haven't quite worked out how to access the connectors for this to check the resistance. It's a little ominous that replacing it requires replacing the door assembly.

So, I've tried just leaving the paddle actuated to see if this might defrost the water fill tube without any luck (just going off the language above that the fill tub heater is on after water valve activation). My only solutions so far involve taking apart the ice dispenser and making sure any built up ice is cleared off, and also using a syringe to basically give the water tubing a hot water enema.

Attachments

• 31-9215.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 109

bladpart

Premium Member
Just wanted to add that I was able to test the ports for the fill tube heater on the main circuit board. Got a DC voltage of about 12.96V on the board and a resistance of about 350 Ohms on from the lines. The manual indicates 300 ohms in the back, but then 65 ohms in the steps for testing the fill tube heater, so I'm not sure which one is correct but I figure I'm meeting at least one of them. In any case, I'm more or less convinced that the fill tube heater is working properly, but maybe the implementation by GE just isn't very good.