GE Profile PGSS5RKZHSS Bottom freezer not freezing ice

SJ12DS

Premium Member
Model Number
PGSS5RKZHSS
Brand
GE
Hello,

I have the above model that stopped making ice. Did the ice maker test and the ice maker cycles and refills with water but the ice does not freeze all the way. Of the two ducts that feed cold air to the ice compartment, the top duct does not blow cold air and actually feels warm. The bottom duct blows cold air. Called the place where we bought the fridge from and the service tech said that it was probably the blower duct fan.

Tech came out and replaced the fan(PN: WR60X10330) to the tune of $223.00. Checked the ducts still the same result. Asked him why the duct was still warm and didn't really have an answer. Tech did say that the fan that he replaced was not spinning when he checked it and he moved the blade with his hand and then it started to spin. He didn't check volts to the fan or anything else.

Freezer is holding temp @ 0 degrees and the fridge is at 36 degrees checked with separate temp gauges. Cold air is flowing in the freezer and fridge. It has been over 72 hours and no ice just icy slush sitting in the fill tray.

Should I be looking at the motherboard now?

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,

James

SJ12DS

Premium Member
Update: After I went back to bed I started thinking that I did not hear the ice chute flapper door shut. Usually I hear a loud slap of the flapper closing. So this morning I went and checked the flapper and sure enough it was open. I closed it with my hand and tried the ice mechanism again and sure enough it stayed open.

I did this 4 times and every time the flapper door stayed opened. I closed it and put a thermometer in the ice compartment to see what the temp in there is reading. Right now after about an hour in the ice compartment the temp says in the REF zone which is about 36-38 degrees.

So would the flapper door staying open cause the ice to not freeze all the way? I imagine it would due to warm air from the outside entering the compartment.

Is there any other concerns with the flapper door staying open? Could it have damaged anything else? Maybe the duct warmer was staying on and causing the duct to feel warm?

I am mad at myself because I should have done my own troubleshooting and found the culprit myself. The fan that was replaced was probably good because the fan only comes on when the condenser is on. The tech should have troubleshooted this better and done a little investigating instead of jumping to the fan.

I apologize for the long post but I wanted to give you as much info as possible and also vent my frustration a bit.

Thanks,

James

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi James,

Yes, the ice door not closing will cause this problem.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:

#63 is your ice door spring, see if that's broken.

Tech did say that the fan that he replaced was not spinning when he checked it and he moved the blade with his hand and then it started to spin.
Yes, that blower fan was bad as well, because it needed help running by him moving the fan blade with his hand.

Jake

SJ12DS

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.

I will check the spring and see if it is broken. That is what I thought it could be for the flap not closing. Is there a reason why the top duct to the ice dispenser would be warm? Looking at the airflow diagram in the service manual it shows cold air coming from the top duct and then returning through the bottom duct. All I feel is air coming from the bottom duct.

With the flap closed the ice dispenser still has not gotten cold enough to drop ice yet. About 8 hours now. Should I expect it to take longer to make ice?

Thanks again,

James

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You may have a ice clog in that top duct from condensation of that ice door being open overnight.

Make sure all the air ducts are clear of any ice/frost.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know James, I have not worked on this model as of yet.

Our tech. bigbuck did post the service manual for this model here:

The 31-9215 service manual should tell you. Start reading it at page 30.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help James, let us know what you find.

Jake

SJ12DS

Premium Member
Ice dispenser flap spring was good. The ice flap closes now. Maybe it was sticking. Ice maker still not making ice. Top duct not blowing cold air. I am going to check the voltage out from the mainboard to the fan J2-7 to J2-8.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Make sure you hold the door switch in James or the blower may not come on with the door open.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake