• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Profile PGSS5RKZHSS Ice Maker melting ice

Hubbs

Premium Member
Model Number
PGSS5RKZHSS
Brand
GE
Ice was melting in the ice bin, and finally quit making ice ... water was in the ice maker but did not freeze. Talked to a technician from this site, and ended up replacing the blower fan for the ice maker. After the fan replacement, the fridge was making ice, but at very low volumes, and the ice would get porous, like it was melting in the bin, but not as fast as before. Current temperature in the ice bin is between negative 3 and plus 4 degrees F. Any tips or help to diagnose would be appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You Talked to a technician from this site? Who did you talk to? It has to be either me, Rick, jeff1, bigbuck, or Dan O.

And it wasn't me.

Jake

Hubbs

Premium Member
Hi, Jake. Sorry for the confusion. After looking at my history, I think I talked to someone at a copycat site, but I like the diagnosis help and repair instructions I see here on your site. Any help with the above is still definitely appreciated, and will order parts from your site related to the repair suggestions...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that's odd because the temperature is perfect so it should be making plenty of ice.

I couldn't locate the tech. data sheet for this model, I will ask our tech bigbuck if he has it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck!

Jake

SJ12DS

Premium Member
Was there a resolution to this problem? I have the same problem with the same model. Fan was replaced as well.

Hubbs

Premium Member
Update to this issue and request for some additional help before ordering parts. By the way, these manuals are a GREAT help.

My issue appears to be intermittent. After my last entry, the fridge started making ice. Still somewhat slow ... never had a full bin, but met our needs. Then, last week, all the ice melted again and it stopped making ice. With the door open, I triggered the door switch, and would get airflow from the air inlet to the ice compartment, but not very cold. I repeated that, and did not get airflow. I turned the icemaker off for a day, found there was ice in the mold the next day, and then turned it back on. It started making ice again after about 24 hours, but also very slowly. Now, after about 4 days, ice is still frozen, but “wet” to touch and glassy in appearance, not cloudy. Getting strong airflow from the air inlet. Freezer compartment has never had any issue — everything has remained solidly frozen.

Right now, temperature in the ice compartment is fluctuating between 15 and 22, temp in the bottom freezer is between 0 and -10 (just using Weber I-grill electronic grill thermometer). Freezer temp set at -3.

I have a multimeter, but just need some help in what to check to try to narrow this down.

I will start another thread on a GE SxS from same year, where ironically enough, it makes ice, but will not dispense water. Can‘t make this up....

By the way, I also figured out that ads for Appliance Part Pros posts ads on your site, between your forum banner and the forum posting. It makes it look like the link to your parts order service ... probably why I had the earlier confusion with researching stuff on your site, then clicking that link and talking to a tech from that site to order parts....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then its possibly your ice maker blower that's either intermittently going bad or the voltage to it is intermittent.

Rick explains about it and how to test it here:

Here it is for your model:
WR60X10330 Blower Fan Duct

Jake

Hubbs

Premium Member
Hi, Jake. I had consistent 13.5 V DC at the The board and connector pin. The fan was blowing well when I took it apart, and now does not blow air after putting it back together. I’ll order the fan you pointed out above. Thanks!

Hubbs

Premium Member
Thinking through this more, this is the same part I replaced just this summer. I got the original fan back out, and am able to make it run off/on easily with a 9V battery as referenced in the other forum discussion. Would there be any other potential causes of occasional ice melt-off and overall slow ice production? Whatever is happening is not an obvious failed component.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, not that I'm aware of.

Where did you buy the new blower fan at last summer?

Jake

Hubbs

Premium Member
Appliance Part Pros. Your links took me to that site.... not sure I understand the relationship of your blog to that site. In my original post, when I said I talked to one of the techs from this site, I had called the tech support line and talked to someone at appliance part pros.

I love the diagnostic help from this site, and just want to make sure I’m supporting you by ordering through the links you post.

Hubbs

Premium Member
Hello, Jake. I've continued to have issues with this ice maker. Fridge will make ice, and it is stable for a few weeks, then the whole bin melts. I shut down the ice maker for a few days and then turn it back on -- makes ice, and then melts again after a couple weeks. Any other ideas of diagnostic or repair? This refrigerator has also had issues freezing vegetables in this main compartment (not freezer) -- I doubt the issues are related, but I figured I'd mention it just in case it's useful.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Since this problem is intermittent its going to be very difficult to nail down the problem.

When the ice starts melting you will need to see if the fans and compressor are still running, or if the refrigerator is OFF and dead silent.

Also clean your condenser coil, if that is clogged with lint or pet hair that will also cause this problem thus shutting down the compressor prematurely due to it overheating.

Your condenser coil is in the very back of the refrigerator, its the round black coil #730 here:

Get a vacuum cleaner attachment or condenser brush to clean your condenser. Even better would be if you have an air compressor or shop vac to blow the condenser coils out, yes its a bit more messy on your kitchen floor, but it cleans it thoroughly.:)

Vacuum Hose Attachment 8171579A

Long Handled Bristle Brush 5303318693

After you clean it, with the lower back still off, plug the refrigerator into the wall outlet, then see of the condenser fan is running, it mounts between the compressor and condenser coil.

Jake