• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Profile PK956DR3BB - F9 code/shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

stw

Premium Member
Model Number
PK956DR3BB
Brand
GE
We have an 8 year old GE Profile double oven, model number PK956DR3BB.

When we turn on the upper oven, it usually gets to temp. However, some time after getting to temp, it many times will flash an F9 code and the oven turns off. I understand that to be a door lock error.

If I start the self clean cycle, it locks immediately (I've never used self clean - just did it to test the lock), then unlocks correctly when I cancel. So it appears the locks are working fine.

I saw a similar post here:

I wonder if it's a similar deal where I'd have to replace the control panel? What are other things to check?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, that's a older model in that thread.

On these newer GE models its usually the blower fan that's not working, thus causes a overheat issue and shutting the oven down and causing the F9 error code. Do you hear that blower fan running when you are using the upper oven?

Here's that blower fan for your model:
WB26T10060 Blower Tangential Asm

Jake

stw

Premium Member
Jake - thank you for the note! When I turn on the upper oven, the fan immediately turns on. Now that I think about it, though, there have been times after we used the oven and it's cooling down, that the fan sounded louder than normal.

Did a test this morning. I punched the regular "bake" button and put in 425 for the temperature. When I hit start, I could hear the fan start. Also, the rear convection fan started, but it never stays on the entire time. If I remember correctly, it turns off when I open the door, and once the oven gets to temp, it was not on.

I timed things once it got to temp. After it got to 425, it took 13 minutes to fail. The oven turned off, then it flashed "Locked" for a minute or so (but door was not locked). Then F9 showed up, it beeps, and "Locked" continued to flash, even though the door was not locked. The blower fan remained on the entire time.

Just checked it again after writing the above. Blower fan still running, but...locked is still flashing, and now, the door is actually locked.

Even though the blower fan is running, could it still be the culprit? That is, not running at fast enough level to actually cool things off? Please let me know if you have other things that I could look at.

Thanks again for your help!

stw

Premium Member
I went back to oven right after posting the above. The flashing "Locked" is now gone and the door is unlocked. The blower fan is still going as it cools down. It's been approximately 40 minutes since it hit 425.

stw

Premium Member
It was almost 1.5 hours from the time the oven showed the F9 before the blower finally turned off, if that gives any other clues.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possible that the blower fan is not blowing fast enough.

Jake

stw

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. I took the panel off, and manually tried to turn the blower. It did not spin freely. Replaced it and all is working well now. Appreciate your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent stw, glad to hear the new blower fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.