• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Profile PSS26SGRASS Refrigerator not cooling enough in freezer and frig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrmagoo

Premium Member
Model Number
PSS26SGRASS
Brand
GE
Hi folks, its been a while since I've had a need to visit this site. Just hoping to solve the latest mystery with my GE refrigerator.

The bottom line is both freezer and refrigerator are not cooling to set-point properly. The average temps in the freezer and frig are 25 and 50 respectively (+/- 3 degF). Compressor and condenser fan seem to be running regularly and constantly. However the main evap fan in the freezer doesn't sound like it is running often or at all. I've opened the freezer and held the door switch closed with my hand but fan does not run. Should it?

We ran the fan speed test (1,1) and all three fans appeared to run for a few seconds. I've not tested or measured anything on the main control board yet and was looking for some direction.
Attached are two pictures of the evap coil. First picture (less frost) was taken 2 hours before second picture (more frost). The evap coil cover/panel was left off for 2 hours when the second picture was taken. Anything look odd here?

Attachments

• IMG_5265.jpg
    IMG_5265.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5267.jpg
    IMG_5267.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 34

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The evap coil cover/panel was left off for 2 hours
The machine will not cool with the cover off. That's why all the frost. Check the fan motor voltage at the board across J2-3 - J2-4 (13V). Check for fan supply voltage across J2-3 and J2-8. If the voltage is correct recheck at the fan motor. If the voltage is correct, replace the fan motor. Incorrect or no voltage at the board, replace the board.
WR55X10942-2.jpg

ge-evaporator-fan-motor-wr60x10185-ap3875639_01_l.jpg

ge-board-with-core-wr55x10942p-ap6048447_01_l.jpg

Mrmagoo

Premium Member
Rick,
Thanks for the quick response. Just a few follow-up questions/comments...I assume that in order to check fan and board voltage as you described above, I need to keep the frig plugged in and operating.

Secondly I sent the pics of the evap coil frosting because I was a little concerned that the sealed system could be an issue. I've previously seen you or Jake post pictures of an evap coil that had an uneven frosting pattern and it was attributed to a likely leak in the sealed system. I thought that the first picture i posted had a slightly uneven frosting pattern. Any thoughts?

Mrmagoo

Premium Member
Quick update Rick, I measured the following:
Evap fan motor voltage across J2-3 - J2-4: 13.4v
Fan supply voltage across....... J2-3 - J2-8: 13.5v
This looks correct to me, can you confirm? Next step replace the fan motor?

While I was in the neighborhood I decided to check voltage on the other fans:
Fresh foods fan voltage across ..J2-3 - J2-6: 2.9v - Is this normal/correct?
Custom cool fan voltage across J2-3 - J2-7 : 11.9v

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If the fan is not working and the voltage is correct, replace the fan. The only way to tell if there's a sealed system issue is to completely defrost the evaporator. Make sure the cover is on properly. Set the controls to the factory settings and wait 24 hours with few door openings. After 24 hours leave the machine plugged in and running, remove the cover and check the frost pattern on the evaporator. It's hard to tell from your pictures if there's a sealed system issue especially if the evaporator fan is not working or the cover is off.

Mrmagoo

Premium Member
I ordered a new evap fan motor from your link, it should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'll let you know what happens.

Just wondering what you think about the voltage reading I took on the Fresh foods fan across J2-3 - J2-6: 2.9v. Is this normal/correct?

Mrmagoo

Premium Member
Ohh...I saw a wire in the J2-6 terminal/plug and I just assumed there was a fan connected on the other end. Thanks for setting me straight Rick.

Mrmagoo

Premium Member
SUCCESS :)(y)

Changed out the evap fan motor as you suggested and freezer and frig are cold again. It took 3+ hours of removing/reinstalling shelves, brackets, ice maker, auger, and finally the evap fan cover to get it all done. Glad that is over. I have another operating issue that I might tackle since I'm feeling confident and in the mood, but I'll post that under a new thread. Thanks for the help Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.