• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Profile PSS26SGRBSS flashing "000" on display

emilclintoc

Premium Member
Hi there,

I just read a similar thread as I'm dealing with the same issue on my parents refrigerator. I was replacing the defrost heater as it went bad, it was burnt. There was a lot of ice build up on the back freezer compartment above the defrost heater. I had to melt all the ice first with the hair dryer and a lot of water was draining in the evaporator pan but also some water came into freezer compartment. I tried to wipe it off and control it as best as I could but some water got under the fridge as well on the floor. We did not have any issues with the motherboard or temperature display prior to this but after replacing the defrost heater and plugging unit back in, the temperature display was not displaying anything. Lights in fridge were on, the defrost heater came on for a minute or two then it went off, but the temperature display was off. As I pressed the temp buttons to see if anything would come on I would get a blinking of 000 a few times and the display would go back off. I realized afterword's especially after reading this thread that some water got to the wiring connection under the the freezer door. I'm wondering now if that is the issue or if somehow that caused a short and the motherboard went bad. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!! I will be heading over there and unhook the connection and dry out the ends well and then reconnect.

Not sure if I want to invest any more money into this fridge. It's 20 years old and we have replaced the control board about 3 time so far, heater about 3 times as well.

Also, one of the wires going to the defrost heater started to be burned as it might have had a bad connection so I had cut it higher and add some wiring I had. Should I use heat shrink but connectors on these? I had regular ones and used them but was thinking maybe it will be better to use heat shrink connectors. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, one of the wires going to the defrost heater started to be burned as it might have had a bad connection so I had cut it higher and add some wiring I had. Should I use heat shrink but connectors on these? I had regular ones and used them but was thinking maybe it will be better to use heat shrink connectors.
Yes, heat shrink connectors are fine to use.

Jake

emilclintoc

Premium Member
When I arrived to my parents today the display was on, I’m assuming that connection dried out in the meantime. When I tried to disconnect it, I had a hard time because some of the needle connections were stuck together. They were really stuck from corrosion, etc, so I cut the wires and crimped on new connectors. I cleaned the ends well before crimping new connectors. Also used heat shrink connectors on the wires going to the defrost heater and replaced the thermostat as well. Unit is working well now! Hope it will last! No issues with the control board!

Last question I had, the original unit came with a one bulb defrost heater, WR51X10055 but I saw that GE has the 2 bulb WR51X10042 as part number for it now. I don’t know if this is an improved version with the double bulb. I was thinking to use that instead but would probably have to bring one wire to the other side and use a jumper on one side. Is this 2 bulb an improved version? The GE website has the 2 bulb as the part for it but the original was a one bulb and I’ve always installed the one bulb when replacing before. If anyone know about this it would be great!

Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I cut the wires and crimped on new connectors. I cleaned the ends well before crimping new connectors. Also used heat shrink connectors on the wires going to the defrost heater and replaced the thermostat as well. Unit is working well now! Hope it will last! No issues with the control board!
Excellent, good job.(y)

Last question I had, the original unit came with a one bulb defrost heater, WR51X10055 but I saw that GE has the 2 bulb WR51X10042 as part number for it now. I don’t know if this is an improved version with the double bulb. I was thinking to use that instead but would probably have to bring one wire to the other side and use a jumper on one side. Is this 2 bulb an improved version? The GE website has the 2 bulb as the part for it but the original was a one bulb and I’ve always installed the one bulb when replacing before. If anyone know about this it would be great!
Yes, the GE OEM defrost heater is now the dual defrost heater for your model:
Heater & Bracket Asm WR51X10042

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.