• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

GE Profile PVM1870SM1SS Fan Always Runs with Door Closed

gscott

Premium Member
Model Number
PVM1870SM1SS
Brand
GE
My OTR microwave fan runs whenever the door is closed. The unit heats properly, but after the cook time is complete the fan continues to run and the oven interior light stays on. The only way to shut the fan off is to leave the door open.

Thanks. Greg.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

jeff1

Staff member
Let us know what you find/see.

jeff.

Stevew2023

Premium Member
Hi,
I realize this is an old post but my GE Profile OTR microwave just started doing the same thing. Fan runs when door is closed. No heating or turntable, just fan. Stops when door is opened. I checked the 3 door switches and they all have continuity. This happened after I inadvertently left the door open for an extended time (couple of hours). Any help is appreciated. Thanks

jeff1

Staff member
I checked the 3 door switches and they all have continuity.
And they open and close properly when the door is opened or closed?

jeff1

Stevew2023

Premium Member
A little hard to tell but they seem to. I did notice that if I wiggle the door up a bit the fan stops but the unit is still non responsive to controls. I've also reseated all connections on the main board.

jeff1

Staff member
I did notice that if I wiggle the door up a bit the fan stops
That should point to an door switch/door switch mechanism, door switch wire, door switch key issue of some sort.

the unit is still non responsive to controls.
If all above checks ok, the board is the prime suspect then.

jeff.

Stevew2023

Premium Member
The door has a little play in it and it. Looks like when I close it and lift on the handle the top switch disengages, but then none of the controls work, as if the door were open.

With door closed some buttons work, some buttons don’t.

Since it is 9 years old I’m considering just replacing it rather that spend a few hundred dollars trying to repair. The new Profile model is only $540. What are your thoughts?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
Since it is 9 years old I’m considering just replacing it rather that spend a few hundred dollars trying to repair.
Most don't last part 9 years any more, so replacing it might be the best idea.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Most all come out of the same factory's....what ever fits your price range and needs will do fine.

jeff.