• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Profile Range PGS908SEP2SS oven will not light

Mtn_Mike

Premium Member
Model Number
PGS908SEP2SS
Brand
GE
Having a persistent problem with the propane oven not lighting. I’ve fixed similar issues in the past but this one is a lot more tricky! The oven will light if I light one of the stovetop burners, there is no smell of gas prior to the oven lighting. The broiler works fine and all of the stovetop burners are fine. I’ve already replaced the following parts, without fixing the problem:

1. Igniter, seems to be the most common problem for oven not lighting in general
2. temp sensor, only because temperature displayed was incorrect because of relighting issue
3. Gas safety valve
4. Gas control valve, verified shutoff valve was open
5. Oven control board

I’m out of ideas, anyone have a suggestion?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The oven will light if I light one of the stovetop burners

What happens to the oven burner/ignitor if you don't light one of the surface burners first?....exactly!
What happens to the surface flame(s) if you light one burner, add a second, add a third, etc?

3. Gas safety valve
4. Gas control valve, verified shutoff valve was open

What is the gas control valve?

The oven will light if I light one of the stovetop burners

Only if you light the surface burner first?
Only if you light the surface burner after you have set the oven to come on?

jeff sr.

Mtn_Mike

Premium Member
Hello Jeff1,

thanks for your reply, see my notes for each of your questions:

Here’s a sequence of events for lighting the oven. First, I set the oven temp and hit start. After 5-10 minutes the oven has still not lit, even though the igniter is bright. If I then light one or two of the surface burners the oven always lights. If I light 2 or more surface burners I don’t see any difference.

I called the part “ gas control valve”, on the parts list it’s called “regulator convert press” so it’s actually the regulator with a shut off valve.

I had not tried lighting a surface burner first, then starting the oven so I just tested that. I lit and left one top burner on and then started the oven and it lit within a minute or two.

I believe I see where you’re headed, it’s occurred to me this problem may have begun after I replaced my home gas furnace with an electric unit. Maybe affected the propane pressure? I still have a gas fireplace and water heater that were not affected. I’ve tried lighting the gas fireplace then starting the oven but that had no affect on the oven lighting.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I believe I see where you’re headed, it’s occurred to me this problem may have begun after I replaced my home gas furnace with an electric unit. Maybe affected the propane pressure?

I tend to think you are correct.
If electrically the ignitor is drawing enough current ( usually 3-3.5 amps ) and glowing white.....only thing changing when you turn on the surface burner is the gas pressure.

I called the part “ gas control valve”, on the parts list it’s called “regulator convert press” so it’s actually the regulator with a shut off valve.

The ranges pressure regulator would have been one of the first things that I would have considered changing for your type of a problem.

I don't know what is wrong, but I agree it does sound like an gas pressure problem.

jeff sr.