• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Profile Refrigerator GNE26GMDDES freezing everything in the bottom half of the fridge section temp is currently 16 degrees F.

GEinsanity

Premium Member
Model Number
GNE26GMDDES
Brand
GE
French door fridge started pooling water under lower compartment drawer, and freezing. checked drain lines and things stayed same. Changed out noisy evaporator fan things got better... a month or so later its no longer accumulating water but is freezing everything in the bottom half of the fridge section temp is currently 16 degrees F. top two shelfs are mid 30 degrees. have since replaced temp sensor with no change.
Would love me some feedback on what to try next. having a love hate relationship with this otherwise well designed fridge BTW
temp on control panel door is set and saying actual temp is 45 degrees / freezer unaffected all along is doing well and set at 0 degrees.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
half of the fridge section temp is currently 16 degrees F ....... replaced temp sensor with no change.
Here's the part you need:

GEinsanity

Premium Member
Hi Rick
thank you for your prompt reply, based on other threads i have seen your replies to, you certainly seem to have tons of experience with appliance failure.
If you were a betting man, what is the likelihood that replacing the main control board is my only problem?
$170. sure seems like a better idea then trashing this fridge.

rickgburton

Staff member
what is the likelihood that replacing the main control board is my only problem?
I would say better than 90%. A machine with dual evaporators has basically, two independant cooling systems. The control uses the information from the thermistors to know when the compressor should be running. If you replaced the thermistor, the board is pretty much the only thing left.

GEinsanity

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
I did the control board and no real change. As i had previously done the temp sensor ( is that what you are calling the Thermistor? ) I did use shrink wraps for each wire and another to cover both wires. I am totally at a loss for what to do next. In someone's u tube video about changing out the evaporator fan which i did do first, they mentioned doing a firmware update (this GE model has a USB plug above the top of the two french doors. Any chance I need to do that?
Any other thoughts you have would also be appreciated.
Thanks !

rickgburton

Staff member
When I look up your model number it says the fan is no longer available. All the parts places say see note:
Note: Replace with Fan motor WR60X26866 and Boot WR24X27948. Both are needed.
Is this the fan motor you replaced and did you replace the boot?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What is the serial number of your refrigerator?

If the refrigerator was made between (May 2014 - Mar 2015) with the serial range HD - FF the software must be updated by factory service or a Software Update Module WR98R882802 for proper performance.

Here's the Fresh Food evaporator fan motor for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor WR60X26866

Jake

GEinsanity

Premium Member
RE: Post #6
currently i can not find the box, ( from the fan which i kept all receipts and took notes on from the get go on this project), although i would say that fan number sounds correct, I may have to open things up once again to be sure, (Grrrr) the fan was sent direct from GE did not ship with rubber boot original boot fit perfectly, the fan did take care of all Icing and water build up under the lower drawer for the past two months. But within a few weeks of install fridge temps plummeted, and lower half of fridge has since became a freezer. top two shelves are usable for refrigeration needs. I'll pull things apart later today and double check fan #

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, I don’t think the fan is the problem if it worked for a few weeks after you replaced it. Let’s try this; Go into service mode. Test 00 00 will display any error codes. Run these tests:
00 24 - FF1 Thermistor (sensor) test
00 25 - FF2 Thermistor test
00 26 - FF Evaporator thermistor test
The display shows the thermistors temperatures. 300 or -41 indicates open shorted or not present. After you run those three tests run test 00 16. This test exits service mode and resets all the boards.

GEinsanity

Premium Member
Don't believe this model offers any service modes , only temp selection, lock, change filter, ice maker & alarm

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, try this:

Press “Ice Maker” and “Lock Controls” simultaneously for three seconds.

The display will show 00

Use the “Refrigerator” button to change the display in increments of 10.

Use the “Freezer” button to change the display in single increments.

Since the display has only two digits, error codes won’t be displayed

Run tests 24, 25, and 26,

Once the display shows the desired test number, Press the “Ice Maker” button to run the selected test.

Test 16 exits service mode.

GEinsanity

Premium Member
My model has an inside the door board and does not seem to wat to respond to any type of service prompt. Thanks for hanging in there with me Rick.

rickgburton

Staff member
I just found out you need a special tool to get into service mode on your model. Do you have your tech sheet? It’s under the hinge cover. I’ll see if I can locate it.