• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Profile Refrigerator PFCS1RKZHSS not cooling properly

josdesl

Premium Member
Model Number
PFCS1RKZHSS
Brand
GE
Hello, I have a GE Profile fridge that is no longer blowing cool air.
- I can feel air coming from the vent in the fridge and coming from the vent in the freezer. However, it's not cold.
- I have set my temperature settings to 0 for freezer and 37 for fridge, but the actual temperature readings are in the 50s and rising (the appliance is not cooling over time).
- I removed the back panel and when plugged in, the fan is running fine. The compressor is not warm or hot though when touching it. Not sure if that is an issue here.
Does anyone have any thoughts on things I could start to diagnose? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 49

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the fans are all running and the compressor is NOT running, you may have a bad compressor inverter board, sometimes you can tell from just looking at the compressor inverter board if its bad or not, unplug the refrigerator and look for burnt components on the compressor inverter board.

If you DON'T see any burnt components on the compressor inverter board, you'll need a multimeter to check volts.

Check for 5-6 VOLTS DC between J15-1 and J15-2 on the motherboard(main control board). Then check for 120 VOLTS AC between the orange wire and the black wire on the inverter. If the voltage is correct, remove the inverter from the compressor and measure the resistance of the compressor windings. You should have about 10 ohms between any two pins.

Here's the main control board for your model:
WR55X11098 Board Asm, Main Control

Here's the compressor inverter board for your model:
WR49X10283 Inverter Board

Let us know what you find.

Jake

josdesl

Premium Member
Thanks Jake I will do that. I also wanted to mention that the inside of the fridge near the fan is VERY hot. Touching this section of the fridge (which seems to be turning from white to yellow) is almost burning my hand. Not sure if this helps to identify the issue?

Attachments

• IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 39

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You said the condenser fan next to the compressor is running correct?

If so, I have no clue why it would be so hot and turn yellow there, never seen that happen before.

Jake

josdesl

Premium Member
Hi Jake, I was going to start troubleshooting the compressor and ordering parts but finally decided to replace the fridge. I've had this GE Profile fridge for about 8 years and it's been non-stop issues ever since with the ice maker, electronics and it's leaked water multiple times. I decided to go with a Whirlpool this time :)