• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Profile Refrigerator PFSS5RKZASS Ice Maker Vents Warm Plastic

John916

Premium Member
Model Number
PFSS5RKZASS
Brand
GE
Would anyone know why the plastic around the vents that feed the ice maker on the door of a PFSS5RKZASS would be warm to the touch and cause the plastic to yellow?

Ice maker works and so does everything else. Curious if this is normal operation or something I need to address?

78F5B30F-FD89-44A8-A707-D05DC2F7864A.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its funny you mentioned that, another person said the same thing 2 weeks ago:
Like I said to him, I don't know the cause of that happening.

Hopefully another tech will be able to shed some light on that for us.

Jake

mud125

Premium Member
I'm wondering the same thing and have the same model #PFSS5RKZASS. Over the last few months, the refrigerator has been working fine except when we go out of town for a few days. The last three times we've returned, the ice is all melted, has leaked through the ice-flapper, filled up the water overflow tray, and run down onto the floor. I thought perhaps the ice flap didn't close the first two times, but the most recent time I specifically remember checking this before leaving for Thanksgiving. After a few days of normal use, everything (including the ice maker) seems fine.

The top vent is discolored and warm just like John916. If I use a tissue to determine airflow, the top vent has a slight amount of suction to it. The bottom vent is faintly blowing out cold air. I'm not sure if this model is different, but from what I have read in various places, it seems that the top vent should be supplying cold air and the bottom vent is for return air...? After a little further investigation, I've determined the bottom vent is indeed connected to the duct that is on the top of the freezer (see picture). However, if I open the freezer, there is no airflow from the bottom vent...I think it slightly reverses direction actually. If I then cover the bottom vent with my hand and place my other hand by the duct on the top of the freezer, I can tell these two are connected because I sense a little airflow if the bottom vent is uncovered and the airflow stops when the bottom vent is covered. I believe the freezer evaporator fan is working because when I open the freezer I can feel quite a bit of circulation and I also hear the fan running.

Today, I pulled the refrigerator away from the wall, cleaned the condenser coil (which wasn't too dirty), and verified that the fan is working. I'll be curious to know if that makes a difference. The only other thing I've read is to unplug the unit and let the whole refrigerator/freezer completely thaw (24-48 hours) as perhaps the channel that is supposed to provide cold air to the ice compartment is blocked. My suspicion is that this may be the case...although I'm not sure how that would have happened.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Ice Maker Vents.jpg
    Ice Maker Vents.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Freezer Top Air Duct.jpg
    Freezer Top Air Duct.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 15

mud125

Premium Member
I think the issue is a bad Blower Fan Duct. Part #WR60X10330. I will report back to confirm.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just located another thread on this I had forgotten about:

Here's the ICE MAKER FAN MOTOR for your model:
WR60X10330 Blower Fan Duct

Look what Rick said:

Here's the ice maker fan motor for your model:
WR60X10330 Blower Fan Duct

Check for 12 Volts DC. What we are finding is, if there is ice on the wire connector for the fan motor it may have shorted the motherboard.

Here's the motherboard for your model you can order:
WR55X11098 Board Asm, Main Control

Jake

mud125

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Jake.

After taking apart the freezer and looking at the fans, both were functioning properly. I realized I never felt any airflow through the top vent because the ice maker fan turns off when the top left door is open :rolleyes:. However, the ice maker fan will continue to operate if the freezer is open. So, if I open the top left door and depress the door switch (so the fridge thinks the door is closed), the top vent blows cold air after a few seconds!

I still do not understand why the area around the top vent is warm and yellowing and I also don't understand why the ice would melt if we are on vacation and the fridge is left alone for a few days. Perhaps cleaning the condenser coil will have helped. We'll see.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
After taking apart the freezer and looking at the fans, both were functioning properly. I realized I never felt any airflow through the top vent because the ice maker fan turns off when the top left door is open :rolleyes:. However, the ice maker fan will continue to operate if the freezer is open. So, if I open the top left door and depress the door switch (so the fridge thinks the door is closed), the top vent blows cold air after a few seconds!
Ok, good!

I still do not understand why the area around the top vent is warm and yellowing and I also don't understand why the ice would melt if we are on vacation and the fridge is left alone for a few days. Perhaps cleaning the condenser coil will have helped. We'll see.
That is also a mystery to me too.

Yes, cleaning the condenser coil is very important at least one a year, if you have pets then every 3-6 months.:)

Jake