• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Profile Refrigerator PSS26NHSAWW Freezer Warm, Refrig OK

tperk100

Premium Member
Model Number
PSS26NHSAWW
Brand
GE
Model # PSS26NHSAWW, Serial # GH411060

Yesterday my freezer monitor alarm sounded. The freezer was 28 degrees with refrig at 37. I had loaded up the freezer (with FROZEN food) about 4 hours earlier. I immediately thought that I had left the door ajar, but the door did not look or feel like it was open. So I opened it, made sure there were no obstructions, and closed it. The freezer temp started dropping, so I guessed I had the door cracked open a little somehow and now all was OK.

3 hours later the alarm sounded again. Temps were same as above. Now we think the freezer is defective. We emptied the freezer. This was about 9 pm last night. At 7 am this morning the freezer temp is ZERO!! I’m reluctant to use it at this point because I suspect something is intermittently wrong with it. I guess I’ll leave it empty, and watch temp for a few days.

Would like opinions / suggestions.

Thanks much

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you hear the fan in the freezer running?

Do you see frost build-up on the back inside the freezer?

When the alarm sounds is the refrigerator compressor and fans running? Or is everything dead silent?

Jake

tperk100

Premium Member
Jake,

Thank you for helping me.

I don't remember if fan and / or compressor was running, but both are running at least some of the time to get to zero degrees this morn.
I did look for frost and saw none.
The alarm is aftermarket with bluetooth sensor in freezer. Its only relationship to freezer is that it monitors temps.

Update - at 0700 this morn it was zero. At 1000 it was 23. At 1300 it's back to zero. Door has not been opened since yesterday. It seems to me this is too much of a temp swing to say its operating properly.

What do you think?
Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd Tom, I have no clue what's going on here, never seen anything like that before. Its best to have a GE tech. come out and see what's going on.

Jake

tperk100

Premium Member
Thanks. I think I will let it run empty for a week or so before I might put anything back in it. My monitor records high and low temps, so we'll see what it does. Maybe I'll get a "hard" failure that will be a lot easier to troubleshoot.

Regardless, I think I've gotten my money's worth out af a scratch and dent refrig bought "on sale" 16 yrs ago.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Maybe I'll get a "hard" failure that will be a lot easier to troubleshoot.
Yes Tom, you are absolutely right, the hard failure is the best failure to fix this problem properly.:)

Intermittent problems are the hardest to nail down.

Jake

tperk100

Premium Member
Jake,
Been over a week and freezer temps swinging from -7 to +3. Great!
Now what's Murphy going to do when I load it up with food?
Thanks for your help.
CASE CLOSED!.......(for now)