GE Profile Refrigerator - water collecting underneath the vegetable drawers

amj0883

Premium Member
Model Number
PSCF5RGXAFBB
Brand
GE
I have a side by side GE Profile refrigerator that is about 6 years old. It seems that water keeps collecting underneath the vegetable drawers. I believe there is a clogged drain, but not sure where or how to fix it.

The refrigerator section also will not go below 40 degrees and it is set on 36 degrees. Would this also be caused by a clogged drain?

I have not found any ice build up in the freezer.

Any suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that indicates a clogged defrost drain hole/line.

Now on some GE models you may be able to clear the drain hole/line WITHOUT removing the back panel inside your freezer.

But if your drain hole is behind the back panel then you will need to take out all the food and shelves in the freezer then remove the back panel.

The back panel in your freezer is #213 here: Parts for GE PSCF5RGXAFBB: Freezer Section Parts

Then you will look at the very bottom under your very bottom defrost heater#230, you will see the drain trough #232, it will likely be a solid block of ice, you'll need to defrost that ice with a hair dryer and hot water.

Once all the ice is out, try to run hot water down the defrost drain hole, also run something down the defrost drain hole, like a little rotor router snake.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads. I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

amj0883

Premium Member
Thanks Jake!!

We tried this last night and there wasn't any ice buildup. We did find the drain hole and poured hot water down it and used a stick thing (I don't know the name) to try and unclog the drain. Water ran out behind the refrigerator...would this mean that there isn't a clog or if there was, there isn't anymore?

The refrigerator is still at 40 degrees today, which seems to be where it stays.

Should I just wait it out and see if the water stops dripping or try something else? I really hate to call out a repair man if I don't need to

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Should I just wait it out and see if the water stops dripping or try something else?
Ok, so the water you found was inside the refrigerator section under the crisper drawers?

Your defrost drain hole/line seems fine then in the freezer section, I missed seeing this the first time that you mentioned the water was in the refrigerator section, NOT freezer section, sorry about that, read below.

Another member had this same issue: GE PSDS5YGXCFSS Refrigerator -Water coming out of below bottom drawer in the refrigerator onto floor

This model is known as a dual cool(custom cool), meaning you have a small evaporator in the bottom back inside the refrigerator section, when that goes through a auto-defrost cycle the water drips from the evaporator coil into your drain trough underneath it, then the defrost water goes down below to your drip pan.

So either that metal drain trough has started to rust or the drain hole is clogged with ice, thus the water is going into the very bottom inside your refrigerator section and not going in your drip pan where it should be going.

Here's the metal drain trough for your model you can order, if its rusted through:
GE WR17X11843 Trough Drain Asm - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake