• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE PS960EL1ES electric double oven - lower and upper oven controls lock up.

bond435

Premium Member
Model Number
PS960EL1ES
Brand
GE
This model was manufactured in 2017. Induction top works fine. Any oven selection on lower or upper oven will result in the oven starting to preheat. Once it gets to about 154 deg, it stops and both the lower and upper oven controls lock up. Induction top controls work fine. GE has no authorized service company in my area so I'm trying to diagnose and make the repair myself. I've reset the breaker leaving it off for at least 5 minutes. This resets the controls but the problem still exists when I try to use the oven again. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
bond435 said:
Induction top works fine

It sounds like a safety thermostat might be overheating. Have you measured the oven temperature or just relied on the display saying that the oven was only 145 deg.? Could it have been overheating?

And double check the model number. That part list shows that model using radiant elements and not induction.

Dan O.

bond435

Premium Member
Dan, thank you so much for replying. You are correct, it is a radiant top. I reset the breaker to time how long it took until it quit because it was only on for 1-2 minutes before it would quit. This wouldn’t give it time to overheat, I don’t think. It is now working though. I guess it’s like taking your car to the mechanic and the car won’t do what you brought it in for. I feel like it is probably going to do it again though. Still open to suggestions in case it does happen.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Hopefully resetting the power will correct its functioning. If the appliance isn't overheating I can't think of anything other than a failure of the electronic control being responsible. If power to the control was cutting out, it might be due to a loose electrical connection.

Dan O.

Last edited: