GE PSC23NGMDWW freezer not cold enough

heapsofjeff

Premium Member
Model Number
PSC23NGMDWW
Brand
GE
I have a GE PSC23NGMDWW refrigerator. I was having trouble with the refrigerator too cold, freezing milk and lunchmeat. I discovered the flap from freezer had broken, I replaced it. About a week later it started getting warmer and warmer in freezer, discovered fan had quit in freezer. I checked the motherboard voltage and had 13.8 volts, so I I replaced the fan. It seems to be working now. the temp in refrigerator is showing at 39-40 with it set to 37. the freezer is been around 20 deg. with set to 0. I have waiting a week for it to cool down and has stayed in the range. I have placed a thermometer in freezer and it showing around 26 degrees. I also checked the fan on the compressor and cleaned it and the coils. It does make probably 2 or 3 trays of Ice each day as well, but barely covers bottom of ice tray. I am not sure what else to try?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

When you replaced the freezer fan do you look at the frost pattern of your evaporator coil? If so, did ALL the coils have a thin layer of frost on them?

Sounds like possibly a sealed system problem.

Look at these photos below:

Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

heapsofjeff

Premium Member
Unfortunately I unplugged it, by the time I got all the shelves and covers out of the way it had mostly melted. I tried setting a small table fan in the bottom of freezer blowing at the coils with it all apart while waited for new fan to arrive. With that it was frozen over on the lower 3" and the rest mostly looked just frosted. I assumed it was just due to air not hitting the lower portion very good from how it was positioned. The part that confuses me is that before that fan quit it was having no problem with staying cold.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I would need to see a photo of your evaporator coil.

Jake