• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE PSS26LGRC Side by Side Refrigerator Not Cooling

Madman21

Premium Member
Model Number
PSS26LGRC
Brand
GE
Hello everyone. First post here.

I have recently experienced some issues with my garage refer not cooling. The freezer was in the upper 40's and the refer in the 50's. I researched this forum and vacuumed the area around the compressor and coils. Fan is working. I took the back cover off in the freezer and the coils were frozen ( sorry no pix). I unplugged and let the unit thaw overnight, then plugged it back in and it has been running for 24 hours. It seems to be cooling better now with the freezer around 12-16 F depending on where I put the thermometer. The refer is around 40F.

I attached the pictures of the coils. Is this normal or do I have some type of defrost problem?

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• GE Freezer pic.jpg
    GE Freezer pic.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 47

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Paul, You have a defrost problem.

You have 3 parts that control the auto defrost cycle, the motherboard, the evaporator thermistor, and the defrost heater.

So what we do is a process of elimination to determine the bad part. So you will want to unplug your refrigerator and test the defrost heater first, but don't defrost it yet before testing it because if the heater checks good then you will need to test the evaporator thermistor that's mounted on the top of your evaporator coil, and that needs to be covered in frost to test that.

Unplug the refrigerator first, then test the defrost heater first, take the wires off before testing. Watch the video below to test it, if that tests fine, then watch the video Shawn made to test your defrost thermistor. If both test fine, then your motherboard is the bad part.

Here's the evaporator thermistor for your model:
Thermistor WR55X10025

Watch this video, Shawn explains how to test/replace the evaporator thermistor:

Here's the defrost heater for your model:
Defrost Heater Assembly WR51X10055

Here's the motherboard for your model:
Main Control Board WR55X10942P

Watch this video to test your defrost heater:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Madman21

Premium Member
Just checked and the defrost heater is bad. No continuity. I will order one and follow up with the results.

Thanks for the quick reply

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Paul, sounds good, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake

Madman21

Premium Member
I thought I would post a follow up.

I ordered a new defrost heater last Thursday and the part came Sunday afternoon via Fed Ex. Unbelievable.

Installed the part Sunday night and by Monday morning the freezer cooled to 14 F and refer was at 40F.

I have been monitoring all week and it seems to be working fine. Although, I checked one evening during the week and the temperature in the freezer was 30F. The next morning it was back down to 14F. Does the temperature rise when the defrost heater is working? Curious how well it will cool when the garage temps rise.

Thanks again for the help Jake!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, sounds like its working fine now after you replaced the defrost heater.(y)

Did you put the back panel evaporator cover back in place? That is very important to do.:)

I checked one evening during the week and the temperature in the freezer was 30F. The next morning it was back down to 14F. Does the temperature rise when the defrost heater is working?
Yes.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.(y)

Jake

Madman21

Premium Member
Jake,

Everything was working great for about 10 days. Freezer was running around 11F and the refer was around 37 F on a setting of 9. I actually had to make refer a little warmer.

We had a few warm days around 90F and I noticed the freezer was up around 28F and the refer would not cool below 48F. I pulled the coil cover in the freezer. See picture. I pulled the defrost heater (which is new) and the continuity was good. Thawed out and ran it overnight. Still around 24F / 45F. I checked the thermsitors (J1 Connector) per video. All readings were around 21-22 K ohms. Any ideas?

Paul

Attachments

• Refer Coils.jpg
    Refer Coils.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 32

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The freezer should be running at 0 degrees, 11 degrees is too warm.

Still around 24F / 45F.
After how long running?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then it sounds like you now have a sealed system problem.

The evaporator coil should have a thin layer of frost on it from top to bottom, look at the very bottom photo below.

Frost Patterns.jpg