• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE PT916SM2SS wall oven turns off sporadically

Andy1234

Premium Member
Model Number
PT916SM2SS
Brand
GE
GE PT916SM2SS wall oven turns off sporadically when I am cooking something. The oven turns off, none of the buttons work, but the clock is still on. it does not regain functionality if I reset the power. It does not seem to work again until it cools down. It seem that the problem usually occurs when the door is opened to check the food during cooking. There are no error codes when the problem occurs. I have replaced the control board and that did not fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Andy,

It sounds like the Thermal Limit Switch is going bad, or the Fan isn't running. Do you hear the fan running inside the control panel?

Here's another member with this same problem and it was his Fan that was bad:

Here's the Thermal Limit Switch:
WB24T10127 Switch Limit Bimetal

Here's the Fan for your model:
WB26X10264 WB26X10264 Fan Kit

Jake

Andy1234

Premium Member
The fan did go bad, I replaced it about 6 months ago. It is running. It actually continues to run when the oven turns off.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can ohm test that thermal limit switch for continuity first before you order it, actually there are two thermal limit switches behind the control panel, you can ohm test both first.

Make sure you turn the breaker OFF to your Wall Oven before opening it up and ohm testing.

Here's the other one:
GE WB24T10060 Limit Switch

You can watch this video to ohm test it for continuity:

Jake

Andy1234

Premium Member
Thank you for all your help. Replaced the GE WB24T10060 Limit Switch and I have run it 4 or 5 times since with no problems. took about 10 minutes, I love this website.

Note to others that may read this, the broken switch tested out fine on a continuity test at room temp. It must have been wearing down to where it broke continuity at to low of a temp.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Andy, glad to hear the new limit switch fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Andy1234

Premium Member
Hello, I am having the same problem again. I ohm tested the GE WB24T10060 Limit Switch that I replaced back in October. It tests out fine. I can only see one limit switch behind the control panel in my oven. I don't see where I have WB24T10127 Switch Limit Bimetal anywhere, do some of these only have one? Could it be the high limit switch on the back(part number AP3205159) or would that show other symptoms? Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Andy,

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#159 is that Limit Switch you already replaced and its still good.
#158 is that Switch Limit Bimetal

If should be near the #159 Limit Switch

No, if the high limit switch was bad, it would not heat at all period.:)

AP3205159=WB24T10081

You will likely need to order and replace that fan too Andy, that's usually what causes that Limit Switch or Switch Limit Bimetal to keep going out.

I posted the link to your fan above in post #2.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh wait, I just saw you already replaced that fan motor. Is the fan still running good even when the oven is off?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is odd, it should be there. I will ask Rick if he knows.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't see it either. locate the CN2 connector on the ERC (the one with the oven sensor). CN2-Pin #3 is a blue wire. Trace it back the the thermal switch.

Andy1234

Premium Member
The blue wire appears to be going to the back of the oven behind where the fan screws in. Looks like I’ll have to pull out the whole oven. Thanks for all the advice. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick! I was thinking it was possibly in the back of his oven, but the parts diagram showed it more on top near his Limit Switch.:)

Yes Andy, please keep us posted!

Jake

Andy1234

Premium Member
One other interesting note...
#159 limit switch is physically located where #158 is in the diagram.
#158 switch limit Bimetal appears to be the one in the back, behind the fan

I thought maybe I got them mixed up, but then realized you can’t mix them up because the tabs are different sizes. If you put the switch in the location with the corresponding connector size #159 is in the front and #158 in the back.
Thanks again.