• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE PYE22KSKMSS French door Refrigerator - stopped dispensing water

Fridgenowater

Premium Member
Model Number
PYE22KSKMSS
Brand
GE
My GE PYE22KSKMSS French door fridge stopped dispensing water & stopped making ice.
Water is running into the filter but will not make it to the water inlet valve.
When removing the filter, the pressure built up spurts and soaks the top fridge tray.
I also tried to shoot hot-ish water up the main water line from the opening that attaches to the water inlet valve.

Replaced the in-door dual water inlet valve, and tried a new filter to ensure the filter itself wasn’t clogged.

Dispenser makes the normal sound when pressing - and the new water inlet valve vibrates sometimes when initially installing a new filter.

Any ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Fridgenowater

Premium Member
I actually have the part on standby in my drawer right now. I’ll install it tonight and see how it works. I assumed because water was flowing to the filter that it was working as intended so I replaced the dual water inlet instead.

Will keep you posted

rickgburton

Staff member
I’ll install it tonight
If it's working there's no need to replace it. To find where you're losing the water pressure, break the system down to sections. I'll post a water line schematic for your machine. The isolation valve behind the machine supplies the water filter. Water leaves the water filter and supplies the dual water valve in the door. Disconnect that water line from the dual valve and hold it over a container and press the dispenser lever. If water is not being supplied to the dual valve, the problem is with the water filter, filter head, or isolation valve.
R-Water schematic GE PYE23.jpg

Fridgenowater

Premium Member
Hey Rick, thanks so much for the schematic. I tried dispensing water while the water line was unplugged and nothing.
Massive air pressure buildup in my filter when attempting this which leads me to believe the isolation valve and water pressure are fine?
This is my second filter, and still no luck. I have a GE filter bypass coming as well as an OEM filter so we’ll see if either of those work. Would the filter head be the issue in this scenario? Water seems to be getting into the filter but never out.

Attaching a video + a picture that hopefully shows where the issue is. Hoping it loads. Taken on an iPhone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 59

rickgburton

Staff member

Fridgenowater

Premium Member
Hey Rick!
finally got around to replacing the filter manifold, water does flow through the manifold now but I think the water reservoir is frozen? Still nothing dispensing after replacing both that & the water inlet valve.
Though, shouldn’t the ice maker still be functioning?
Let me know your thoughts

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
@Fridgenowater you mentioned above you ordered the by-pass filter and the OEM water filter, did you get those yet? If so, did you try the by-pass filter yet to see if that worked?

I was out on this same model about a year ago, doing the exact same thing, I replaced the filter head and that didn't fix it either.

Then I ordered and installed the by-pass filter and that fixed it. So I asked the customer are you using the OEM water filter and they said NO, and I told them on these models you MUST use the OEM water filter or it will not work due to the chip in the RFID Board. Go old GE would do that to customers, actually a China company named Haier, that bought the GE appliance division, does that to customers, how ironic!!! LOL

Here's the by-pass filter for your model:

Here's the OEM water filter for your model:

I located another thread that another member posted about that RFID board here:
Your model uses that exact same RFID board as he posted in post #13.

Here's the RFID board for your model: RFID board WR55X23345

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
GE would do that to customers, actually a China company named Haier does that to customers, how ironic!!!
Did you know Haier now owns the GE appliance company? GE's focuses is now on jet engines only.

Fridgenowater

Premium Member
I do have the bypass plug! I’ll give that one a go and report back!
Will use GE in the future for all my jet engine needs

Fridgenowater

Premium Member
Bypass plug didn’t work unfortunately, I did confirm that water is properly flowing through the filter manifold which was thought to be the problem.
When I attempt to dispense water, regardless of filter used (or bypass), water is still flowing through line. I could check if it makes it to the water inlet valve next possibly?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you know Haier now owns the GE appliance company? GE's focuses is now on jet engines only.
Yuppers Rick, I remember that.:)

Bypass plug didn’t work unfortunately, I did confirm that water is properly flowing through the filter manifold which was thought to be the problem.
When I attempt to dispense water, regardless of filter used (or bypass), water is still flowing through line. I could check if it makes it to the water inlet valve next possibly?
That's very strange, Remove the tubing from the water inlet valve and see how fast the water flow comes directly out of the water inlet valve, get a bucket or container to catch the water in.

Wait, I just noticed you posted the age as Less than 1 year old, is that true? If so, contact GE at 1-800-432-2737 to come out for free under warranty to fix this for you.

Jake

Fridgenowater

Premium Member
Apologies, the fridge is 1 year and a few months old. Purchased a home with the appliance installed so possibly before that.
Will try the inlet valve tonight

Fridgenowater

Premium Member
I removed the tubing from the water inlet valve as well as from the back of the filter manifold (correct me if I’m wrong, but same tube?). Confirmed, that’s where I’m losing water pressure. No water can flow through to even make it to the inlet valve. Could this be as simple as a frozen water line?

If so, any suggestions for unfreezing it? I have a water line buddy which is just a syringe with a plastic line glued on to squirt hot water. By the looks of it, the water line travels above or adjacent to the ice compartment. Pictures are attached for the lines in reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 61

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the parts diagram below, #640 is the water tank, its probably frozen there. Use a hair dryer on it, move the hair dryer back and forth on it till it unfreezes.

00142160.p07_2325.jpg

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
I did confirm that water is properly flowing through the filter manifold which was thought to be the problem.
I removed the tubing from the back of the filter manifold .......... No water can flow through to even make it to the inlet valve.
Both those statements can't be true at the same time. I'll post the water schematic again and label the water line connections and direction of water flow. A water schematic shows you where the water lines are connected to each water system component. It doesn't necessarily show how the water lines or components are routed in the machine.
R-Water schematic GE GYE23.jpg

I assumed because water was flowing to the filter that it was working
Don't assume anything because we're back to where we started...LOL

Recheck water flow at "B" and "C". According to your last post and your first picture, there's no water at "E". That would suggest the problem is either the isolation valve or the water filter and filter head. Blow through the line at "E" and see if comes at "D" if that's the second picture and rule out a blocked line.