• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE quietpower dishwasher won't drain - but runs thru cycle

jamesyeh

Premium Member
Model Number
GSD4060N00SS
Brand
GE
i have a GE quietpower GSD4060N00SS. it was in disuse for a couple months, b/c i was out of the house, but it was working well before i left. when i came back, the dishwasher will run thru the cycle, but constantly has 2 inches of stagnant water in the bottom of the tub. i've disassembled the entire bottom of the machine including the impeller assembly. there are no clogs from the tub to the sink. i tested continuity on everything i could find on the bottom (motor, float switch, solenoid) and everything seems to be ok. i've also watched the motor spin and the solenoid that controls the drain valve operate during the cycle, and it seems to operate ok. i'm stumped. anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance.

jamesyeh

Premium Member
i was talking to an expert on justanswer.com. he thinks that it is the motor/pump assembly, but i watched the motor with a flashlight as the dishwasher ran and i saw the motor spin. is it possible for the motor to be spinning but still malfunctioning? it didn't really look that complicated to me... motor spins and moves the pump... right?

when i had the pump disassembled, i also noticed that the drain valve did not open completely when the solenoid actuated it - which left a small 2mm gap that opens towards the valve that leads to the spray arms inside the dishwasher. that wouldn't matter would it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi James,

is it possible for the motor to be spinning but still malfunctioning? it didn't really look that complicated to me... motor spins and moves the pump... right?
Yes, that's possible, the impeller on the pump/motor shaft could be stripping and not allowing full water pressure when it drains.

But first, Have you checked the drain hose to the disposal for a clog? I see that happen more often, take the drain hose off the disposal or sink plumbing and get a bucket or container and put the drain hose in it then start the drain cycle and watch how fast the water drains out, should be a very strong stream out.

when i had the pump disassembled, i also noticed that the drain valve did not open completely when the solenoid actuated it - which left a small 2mm gap that opens towards the valve that leads to the spray arms inside the dishwasher. that wouldn't matter would it?
Yes it would, On your model you have a drain solenoid that opens the pump flapper for it to drain. It should open fully.

Here's the pump parts diagram for your model: Parts for GE GSD4060N00SS: Motor-Pump Mechanism Parts

#493 is the drain solenoid, #418 is the pump flapper that the solenoid opens.

If you can get a flashlight and watch the solenoid to see if it moves the flapper when it goes into a drain cycle. And also you can touch the solenoid and see if you feel it humming and warm.

Also try to move the flapper up and down to see if it moves freely.

The plastic flapper lever in the drain solenoid should be in the UP position for wash and DOWN for drain.

Here's the drain solenoid kit for your model:
Drain Solenoid Kit WD21X10268 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video to access the drain solenoid and flapper lever:

[video=youtube;Jiy1-XRI7-o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiy1-XRI7-o[/video]

Jake