• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Range JAS640RM1SS oven cycle light is staying on when we turn the oven off

idna05

Premium Member
Model Number
JAS640RM1SS
Brand
GE
Our Oven is just over 2 years old and the oven cycle light is staying on when we turn the oven off and smells when it is on while also burning really hot at 350.
Need to know if it is the temp control and do we need a new one. Anyone?

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Model Number MRJAS640RM1SS

The only close model number I could find a listing for was JAS640RM1SS. Please double check it.

Unfortunately without seeing its wiring diagram it is not possible to tell what is causing your symptom. Usually the thermostat would control the operation indicator lights for the oven so the thermostat is a good possibility for being the cause of that. The thermostat should also be what's controlling the oven temperature. If the temperature is out, the thermostat may be defective. At least it's pretty inexpensive.

LINK > JAS640RM1SS Oven Thermpostat

Dan O.

idna05

Premium Member
Is this an easy fix if we do it our selves. Can we see on you tube a how to?
TY

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
idna05 said:
Is this an easy fix if we do it our selves.

I have no ideas of your abilities but replacing an oven thermostat is usually a relatively easy repair for a handy person. I don't know about on that specific range model.

idna05 said:
Can we see on you tube a how to?

I could find no videos for that specific range model nor for that exact thermostat. You can see one thermostat repair video at the following link. How close it will be to your range I don't know. Hopefully I will give you an idea what needs to be done.

LINK > GE Electric Oven Thermostat Replacement

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.