• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Range JGB281SER2SS - Gas smell on oven pre-heat continues even after ignitor change

Billiam

Premium Member
Model Number
JGB281SER2SS
Brand
GE
I've re-checked the new (now about 6 mos. old) ignitor, getting 3.4 amps. I did notice the shine is now gone from the new ignitor case, like it is getting hot. Any help would be appreciated.

Billiam

Premium Member
That's the correct amps. Maybe more details would help.
Rick, I described it as a gas smell, it is really not distinct enough to say it is gas. It could be some other kind of "fumes". As far as the ignitor, it lights the burner after 75 seconds and the flames appear to be burning evenly.

Billiam

Premium Member
After reading another thread about the "burner making a gurgling sound when burning, I realized I heard this sound too. Do you think this might be my problem? How do I clean my air intake?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Open the air shutter all the way. The air shutter is on the end of the burner tube that sits on the valve. Are you using LP or Natural gas?
Snapshot_1.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
Another thing to check is the burner where the igniter mounts. There's a few small holes in the side of the burner so the gas blows onto the igniter. Use a wire brush to clean them.

Billiam

Premium Member
What is the best way to get to the shutter? Do you have to take the insides out? I've already made sure all the holes are clear.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Gas supply line connects to the regulator and oven safety valve and the part of the burner with the air shutter sits on the oven safety valve. So either behind the machine or behind the drawer. I posted an image in post #5

Billiam

Premium Member
It was about half open. I opened it as much as it would (about another inch). Checked the ignition time. It is still the same. The flames were good, maybe a little more yellow tips. We'll try it this way for awhile, maybe it will make a difference in the smell. Thanks for all your help.

Billiam

Premium Member
UPDATE: Haha. After my last post, I put everything back together and the last thing I inserted was a silicone sheet my wife had been using in the bottom of the oven to more easily clean up spills. This sheet had no holes in it and were covering the vent holes from the burner space. It finally occurred to this amateur appliance repair man that this would probably be the problem. At least now I know how to adjust the air to the burner.

rickgburton

Staff member
I think you nailed it! What's a "silicone" sheet? Sounds like something that would melt.

Billiam

Premium Member
It is a black sheet of silicone that goes in the bottom of the oven so when something cooks over you can just remove and wash it off. Apparently it is very flame and heat resistant as advertised as it has been in there about a year and is still unscathed other than white marks on it where it covered the vent holes.

I'm thinkin' that if we either cut slots out where it sits over the vents or trim it to where it doesn't cover the vents, we'll solve our problem. I told my wife to watch what ever she is baking the first time as this will no doubt effect the cooking time.

rickgburton

Staff member
That's a new one on me. I've never even heard of that before. I guess it takes the place of good old aluminum foil. lol