• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Range JGSS66SEL3SS Oven Gas Leak

Boxwood2021

Premium Member
Model Number
JGSS66SEL3SS
Brand
GE
I have a six month old range. Gas supply line installed professionally and no leaks at gas valve or connection to stove. I can use top burners fine. When I use the oven there is a noticeable gas smell after several minutes. Oven will preheat fine, but as it continues the gas smell begins to build as the unit cycles to keep temp or increase temp. Anyone walking in the house would say there’s a gas leak. I got a combustion meter, and it shows no leaks anywhere in the supply connections or at the connection to the stove when the oven is on. The meter goes off the charts when testing the top, middle area at the back of the stove where heat would come out. You can smell the gas with your nose after a while.
I have a GE tech from A&E Factory coming out this week to look at the stove. Any thoughts ahead of time on what this could be? A valve not closing well enough? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possibly coming from the oven safety valve, the tech. should be able to check that first, it located in the back bottom underneath the oven, when it opens it sends the gas into the BAKE burner tube #26

The oven safety valve is #214 here:
safetyvalve.jpg

Boxwood2021

Premium Member
The tech opened up the inside/bottom to view the burner tube. Periodically, the tube was only lighting on one side while gas was coming out the other side. After a while the other side of the tube would light, but that was causing excess gas to come into and out of the oven. They are going to replace the burner tube.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That sounds logical to me too. Thanks for the update!

Also another thing would be to make sure the oven glow bar ignitor is bent slightly more towards the burner tube when the tech. mounts it on the new burner tube.

Here's the burner tube for your model:

Jake