• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Range PGB916SEM1SS - oven heats but does not heat up again until cooled off

SquidConsumer

Premium Member
Model Number
PGB916SEM1SS
Brand
GE
Hello,

My GE Profile PGB916SEM1SS, oven heats up fine when the oven is cool. However, if the oven is used, turned off, and it is still at say 200 or 300 degrees, it does not heat up again until it is cooled off. The igniter is glowing, while it fails to heat back up. Should I look at the igniter first? If so, does a continuity test provide meaningful results for a partially working igniter? Or, do I need to go straight to clamp meter, to test amp draw? The PGB916SEM1SS is 11+ years old and during this period neither the igniter or respective safety valve have been replaced.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Should I look at the igniter first?

It's functioning is critical to the oven's heating, yes.

does a continuity test provide meaningful results for a partially working igniter?

What do you mean by "partially working"? If the ignitor glows, checking its restistance will reveal nothing.

You can read about how common gas oven ignition systems work and the observations and tests necessary to start diagnosing problems with them at the following link:

LINK > Understanding Gas Oven Ignition Systems

Or, do I need to go straight to clamp meter, to test amp draw?

If the ignitor is glowing but the oven burner is not igniting, yes. The ignitor's amperage draw will need to be measured to determine if it is the problem of not.

LINK > PGB916SEM1SS Oven Ignitor

Dan O.

Last edited:

SquidConsumer

Premium Member
Dan,

Thanks for the reply. By partially working, I meant that the igniter works to heat the oven initially. And, when the oven does not continue to heat, the igniter does continue to glow. Based on a related thread, I am also going to inspect the bake tube too.