• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator CQE28DM5NBS5 Ice maker keeps dying

supergrendel

Model Number
CQE28DM5NBS5
Brand
GE
Bought my GE Cafe refrigerator in the Fall of 2020. We are now on our THIRD ice maker. Thank God we bought the Assurant extended warranty. It seems like the syncronous motor (50TYZ-G) just up and smokes itself. Cheap Chinese part that GE won't issue a recall for. The main problem is you can't even buy a replacement. They are sold out everywhere on line. The ONLY way to get a new motor is to replace the entire ice maker! So far I'm not real happy with having to replace my ice maker every 4-7 months. Not a good track record for an almost $4,000 refrigerator.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So far I'm not real happy with having to replace my ice maker every 4-7 months. Not a good track record for an almost $4,000 refrigerator.
Keep after them to have them fix it permanently, post on their social media account, companies hate bad press, in fact if your local TV station has a consumer protection segment, its best to get on TV and then you will see how fast GE contacts you for a replacement or a refund.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.