• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GFE28GMKBES Ice maker quit making ice

Toivo

Premium Member
Model Number
GFE28GMKBES
Brand
GE
I have a GE refrigerator Odell GFE28GMKBES that quit making ice. I have unplugged the unit for 15 minutes and repowered it up and it still doesn’t dump the ice in the tray. Water supply Isn’t the issue since there is cubes in the tray that won’t dump and the dispenser still works and the filter is changed on a regular basis. Thinking about ordering a new ice maker to Change it out unless someone has any other ideas for me to try first. This is my last GE because of the issues with this unit.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The ice cubes can only drop constantly when the ice maker thermostat gets below 10 degrees F and stays below 10 F degrees constantly.

Put a freezer thermometer in the ice maker compartment and give it 2 hours and see what it reads.

Get the RED Liquid or digital freezer thermometer. Walmart, Target sells them usually at about 10 dollars and they last a lifetime.

If your temp is good, then yes it would possibly be a bad ice maker.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
WR49X31524 Icemaker

Jake

Toivo

Premium Member
Put a thermometer in the freezer and the temp is good so it looks like replacing the ice maker. This fridge will be 6 years old and we have had numerous issues with it. GE doesn’t make a quality product any more. Replaced a GE dishwasher that was purchased the same time as this refrigerator due to the pump failed. Couldn’t get a part due to Covid and the wife wasn’t waiting 6 months for a part. Unfortunately had to buy another GE to match the slate color. Next appliances won’t be GE

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put a thermometer in the freezer and the temp is good so it looks like replacing the ice maker.
Yes, the new ice maker should fix it.

Yes, GE was very good in 1990's and earlier, but you are correct, they don't make them like they used to, unfortunately.

Jake

Toivo

Premium Member
Well unfortunately the ice maker didn’t solve the problem. Would there be a separate water valve for the ice maker than the dispenser? I can feel cool air blowing from the duct to the ice maker with the door open but could it not be enough volume? Looking for ideas on what else to check and is there a way to cycle the ice maker to make sure it is working?
Thanks for the help so far.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.