• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GFE28GSKBSS Water does not dispense into ice maker

tejasbill1963

Premium Member
Model Number
GFE28GSKBSS
Brand
GE
My GE GFE28GSKBSS French door refrigerator does not dispense water to the ice maker. I did the no no and began replacing parts prior to testing :( I have replaced the main dual water valve at the bottom rear of fridge, new filter, new ice maker. I had a technician come out and he tested everything and all checks out. He told me the water line from the dual water valve within the door was frozen. Is this possible? If so, how can I thaw it out?

Also note, I ran the diagnostic test to make sure the ice make was functioning and all works as it is supposed to. During that test I pulled the line off of the dual water valve in the freezer door and it dispensed water fine. Hope fully it truly is a frozen water line, I just need clue in how to thaw it. Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
He told me the water line from the dual water valve within the door was frozen. Is this possible? If so, how can I thaw it out?
Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
Valve Dual Water WR57X10098

Here's the closest service manual I could locate for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VIwpaArsDb98wDIZBHDox1l1Mwgm2OY3/view?usp=sharing Look on Pages 96 to 98 its shows you how to access it. The BLACK water outlet tube GOES to the ice maker.

Jake

tejasbill1963

Premium Member
Hey Jake, Thanks for the link. yeah I have access to the dual water valve and the black line, but it runs up inside the door which I assume goes directly to the dispensing outlet at the upper part of the door. There isn't any obvious access to the rest of the water line without dissecting the entire door. If the water line is in fact frozen, how do I thaw it out? Do I just leave the door open until it warms up or is there a more practical way to thaw it out? I attached a schematic I found which shows nothing between the dual water valve and ice maker, I hope this is the case. Thanks again for any insight on the matter!

Attachments

• GE dual ice makers.jpg
    GE dual ice makers.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 50

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the water line is in fact frozen, how do I thaw it out? Do I just leave the door open until it warms up or is there a more practical way to thaw it out?
Yes, you leave the door open till it thaws out, or use a hair dryer on the outer door panel, moving the hair dryer up and down the door till it thaws out.

Jake