• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GFE28HMHEES Freezer issues

MSpez

Premium Member
Model Number
GFE28HMHEES
Brand
GE
Woke up Monday, and I had a fridge that had temps in the 50s and the freezer was OK... However, both the top and the bottom stopped making ice. I had nearly the exact same model at my old house and ended up replacing the refrigerator evaporator fan. So, I thought that was it. before the fan came, I cut power to the unit, cleaned the entire thing, and let it 6 for hours so that any build that may have been there would melt.

I plugged it back and replaced the evaporator fan even tho, the fresh food part stabilized and kept working I wanted to be on the safe side. I ended up replacing it, even tho the fridge ended up stabilizing the next day and the freezer kept declining. The fan at the bottom kicked on for a second after I turned it back on then stayed off. So I removed the door went in to check the fan, and when I touched it, it kicked back on. I still removed it, plugged the fresh fan in there to see if I could at least get my temp back up until the new fan arrived.

When I plugged it in and temporarily mounted it, and it stayed on. An hour goes by, I go to check it, and the fan is back off. I don't know if its because it's a different fan, but the power is the same just a different size? I don't know if it's not communicating properly or what? Would this be indicative of a deeper issue at this point? Like the mainboard? just to recap- I let it sit for 6 hours, I cleaned out all around it, (there wasn't much dust behind it period).

I replaced the fresh food evaporator fan to be on the safe side, and I'm waiting for the freezer fan to arrive. The fresh food compartment is steady between 34-38 degrees and keeps everything cold. The freezer fan won't stay on (tested the old fresh fan that was working and that one won't stay on either). The freezer temp is sitting at 45 degrees... Thoughts? Just the fan? or is the main board acting up? Thermostat issues?

Also, neither the bottom icemaker nor the top ice maker is working.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Touching the fan blade starts the motor so the motor is bad. It's probably just the fan.

MSpez

Premium Member
I bought the freezer fan too, Its due early next week. The odd part is, when I plugged the freezer fan into the outlet in the fresh food area it goes on right away... But not the bottom part. I did buy a new mainboard too... So ill end up replacing both fans, and the mainboard. I can't imagine what else would need to be replaced?

rickgburton

Staff member
Check the voltage to the fan motor. Red to black should be a constant 12V, yellow to black 2V- 3V when the fan is running, and blue to black 2V-4V when the fan is running.

MSpez

Premium Member
I have replaced the both Fans and my freezer is still not going below 20 degrees. I also have a new mainboard I am going to replace. What other issues could there be?

rickgburton

Staff member
Leave the machine plugged in and running and remove the evaporator cover. Check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils. Take a few pics and post them here.