• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GNE25JMKGFES Evap coil iced up, can't verify Evap thermistor at main board

motonuke

Premium Member
Model Number
GNE25JMKGFES
Brand
GE
Hello everyone!

I have a 2 year old GE GNE25JMKGFES French Door style unit. We just moved in so I unfortunately don't have any history on it. The freezer/evap fan started getting louder than normal (and seemed to run constantly), it then started speed changing/pulsing every few seconds (between 2 different speeds).

Started troubleshooting and could not get a reading from the Evap thermistor on the main board at J1 pins 4 and 5 (showed open). Opened up the freezer panel and found an iced up evap coil. Manually defrosted with a hair dryer. While doing that, I was checking on the evap thermistor situation. I can unplug the thermistor at the back of the freezer and it tests OK with a MM.

Is it possible the pinout for this unit is different and I should be looking elsewhere? I tried tracing the wiring from the connector mounted inside the freezer wall back to J1's plug at the main board. I found 1 leg of the thermistor on J1, but not the other leg (which should have been the common on pin 5, as far as I know). I made a crude diagram in one of the attached images.

Am I chasing a ghost at J1 (looking at wrong pin), or is it possible this 2 year old fridge has a broken connection from the freezer wall connector back to J1?

After defrosting, operation seems normal again and has quieted down and stopped pulsing the fan speed. I suspect this condition will worsen again.

Can the plug at the back of the freezer be removed for a visual inspection?

I was not able to locate a schematic anywhere, does anyone have one they can share?

Thanks!!

Tom

Attachments

• 20211118_191722.jpg
    20211118_191722.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 18
  • freezer with edits.jpg
    freezer with edits.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 20

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tom,

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wI9V5eZnmwD1C16qxrIlh2XeqeUIUDns/view?usp=sharing The thermistor check points are on page 55.

Your suppose to remove the J1 connector from the motherboard and ohm test the evaporator thermistor from the connector itself(Pins 4 and 5), not from the motherboard.:)

So if the evaporator thermistor ohm tested good inside the freezer and the defrost heater ohm tests good, then the problem is the motherboard itself that's bad.

Here's the motherboard for your model:

Jake

motonuke

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for sharing the service manual. I was definitely not checking the correct pins on the evap thermistor.

By the way, I was checking those readings with J1 disconnected and power removed 👍

Now that I have the proper testing procedures, I'll recheck everything..

Thanks!!

Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tom, sounds good, let us know what you find.

Jake

motonuke

Premium Member
Sorry folks, for the late response. The unit has been working great the last month, no frozen evap, etc.

I did get a chance to run the tests in the service manual for the defrost thermostat, heating element and evap thermistor. All checked good, so if I do run into trouble again, it may be time to replace the main board (on a 2 year old unit.. boggle the mind)..

Thanks Jake, for sharing the service manual. I'm sure I'll be needing it in the future.

Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tom, thanks for the update!

Jake