• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GSE25ETHBCC freezer leaking water

mujsaj

Premium Member
Model Number
GSE25ETHBCC
Brand
GE
We have a GE model (serial number 2007245) refrigerator. It leaks water from beneath the freezer door. I found a layer of Ice on the bottom of the freezer. The water seems to running down the back and collects on the bottom where it freezes then it leaks.
The refrigerator cools well. The freezer freezes things solid. The Ice Maker seems to function properly.
Any ideas on possible causes?

Thanks

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

A clogged or restricted defrost drain would be prime suspect and the defrost water is leaking inside....freezing....and leaking out the door onto the floor.

A copy:

A turkey baster can be used to help clean out the drain system. Fill the baster with hot water and "blast" it into the drain hose to help flush it out. A piece of wire or pipe cleaner can also be pushed into the drain hoses to help clean then out.

On a S x S style of fridge the drain system is in the bottom back of the freezer section and often you will have to remove the evaporator cover to access the drain hole. You can clean this out in the same manner as previously mentioned, but because of the water leaking into the freezer instead of the fresh food section you will have to remove the ice build up to clean out the drain system.

jeff sr.

mujsaj

Premium Member
I have found what I think is the drain tube. There was a little build up but not a clog - certainly nothing frozen. I cleaned it pretty well and removed a lot of dust build up in the area.
I can't tell from the description and picture anything about the location of a drain hole or how to access it, nor where the evaporator cover is. It is a side by side fridge.
thanks

mujsaj

Premium Member
ok. I checked some videos: I removed the bottom container in the freezer compartment. I found what looks to a drain. The 'shelf' with the drain had an ice build up. I used hot water to melt the ice and put hot water down the drain. I probed the drain with a pipe cleaner to a depth of about 8 inches and it seemed clear.

Is this the proper approach?

Thanks

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Is this the proper approach?

Sounds like a good job!

I can't tell from the description and picture anything about the location of a drain hole or how to access it, nor where the evaporator cover is. It is a side by side fridge

#228 evaporator coils, #214 false back wall cover, #225 is drain pipe ( outside back ).

jeff sr