• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GSH25JSDDSS How to purge filter when water dispenser frozen

Fidhleir

Premium Member
Model Number
GSH25JSDDSS
Brand
GE
The in-door water dispenser on my GE refrigerator recently quit working. The repair guy said the line in the door is frozen likely due to a failed seal on the door and I "need" a new door for $800. The ice maker and dispenser still work. So I just installed an under sink water filter with a faucet.

But now I need to replace the filter in the refrigerator that serves the ice maker. Without the ability to run the water dispenser to purge air from the new filter, how can I do this? Can I just fill the new filter with water before installing it? Will making a couple loads of ice purge the air? I'm not buying a new door and the ice maker still works fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just draw 10 full glasses of water from the water dispenser to clear the air out of the water lines.

If the water line in the door is frozen, then heat the exterior door up with a hair dryer to unfreeze it.

You can also disconnect the water line from underneath the freezer door and purge the air out there too into a container.

Jake

Fidhleir

Premium Member
The line in the door is frozen and the tech tried heating it with no success. If I disconnect the line under the freezer door, is it under pressure? Should I expect water to drain as soon as I disconnect?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If I disconnect the line under the freezer door, is it under pressure? Should I expect water to drain as soon as I disconnect?
No its not under pressure, but some water will leak out but not much, its under pressure when you press the water dispenser lever.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.