• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Refrigerator GSHS6LGBBHSS Water dispensing slowly from the dispenser

mattb2003

Premium Member
Model Number
GSHS6LGBBHSS
Brand
GE
A few months ago, we noticed the water dispenser is slowly dispensing. It takes over a minute to fill a 16oz glass. We've replaced the filter and when that didn't work, I ordered the filter assembly and replaced it. No change, filter on or using the filter bypass cap. I've thought about replacing the valve, but from what I understand the symptoms are generally no flow at all or a leaking valve. If anyone has had this issue in the past or has any ideas, and is willing to share, thanks in advance for your assistance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I always pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then turn the water off, remove the water supply line, then get a bucket or container to catch water in to test the water pressure from the water supply line into a bucket, then turn the water supply line on, and it should have good STRONG water pressure force coming out in the bucket or container.

--->If your water pressure is good, then the only part left that would cause this is the water inlet valve.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Remove the screw in the water valve mounting bracket so you can maneuver the valve. Disconnect the dispenser water line (larger water line) from the valve and hold it over a bucket and press the water dispenser. Years of mineral or hard water deposits can build up in the valve and slow it down.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, Yes 1 second Rick.

Jake

mattb2003

Premium Member
Hi,

I always pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then turn the water off, remove the water supply line, then get a bucket or container to catch water in to test the water pressure from the water supply line into a bucket, then turn the water supply line on, and it should have good STRONG water pressure force coming out in the bucket or container.

--->If your water pressure is good, then the only part left that would cause this is the water inlet valve.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake
Thank you for the reply! I turned off the water and disconnected the line. I turned the water back on and thought we would get a strong, fast stream into the bucket, but it actually wasn't much faster than the dispenser itself. It took about 50 seconds to fill up a 16oz glass, so although faster, I'm now thinking the problem isn't the refrigerator itself, but possibly the supply line, unless this is normal. My wife is at the point where she's using the sink tap water because it takes too long from the refrigerator, so I know it wasn't always this slow. Time to replace the supply line maybe? It's using a saddle valve tapped into the cold water line in the basement. I'm wondering if I should try replacing that first (or even a different kind of valve) to see if it makes a difference. I honestly don't know a lot about plumbing so don't even know if that's a good idea.

Last edited:

mattb2003

Premium Member
So...

I closed and re-opened the saddle valve and am now getting strong flow from the dispenser (taking less than 20 seconds to fill a 16 oz glass). Thinking that it might be best to replace the saddle valve with something a bit more reliable. Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you had a semi-clog in that saddle valve needle hole that supplies your water flow to the refrigerator.

Good job clearing it out.(y)

If it keeps clogging its best to remove that saddle valve and put a regular valve on it.

Jake