• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GSL25IGXJLS water dispenser freezing

Kentone

Premium Member
Model Number
GSL25IGXJLS
Brand
GE
Like a lot of other people my 12 year old GE's dispenser is freezing. It is freezing about 3 inches in the tube. Over the years, it would freeze a couple of times a year, now it is doing it several times a day. Not sure what changed. I added some insulation to the freezer side of the door and adjusted the freezer temp up and this has slowed it down a bit, but in the morning it is frozen again. I also placed a dish towel down the ice chute in the back of the door to potentially block off any cold air that might be coming through and no difference. I looked at the little heater kit, but several parts websites say it is not compatible with my model. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Correct, your model GSL is not listed for the water dispenser heater kit.

--->All metal liner SxS production built January 2003 through January 2007 (serial numbers AF through AM):
--->Models BSS, DSS, ESH, GSH, GSS, GST, HSS, SSS

Not much you can do except set your freezer to a warmer setting. What's the temperature in the freezer now?

Jake

Kentone

Premium Member
Right now it is set to the max of 5 degrees F. I have moved around items in the freezer and fridge to make sure it is getting good airflow. I am also leaving the dispenser light on in hopes that the little bit of heat it gives off helps. Hasn't frozen up today, so we will see what happens. Thanks for your help. I won't ever own another GE appliance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I am also leaving the dispenser light on in hopes that the little bit of heat it gives off helps.
Yes, very good idea.(y)

Jake