• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GSS25KSWASS Defrost Heater too hot?

Valerio

Premium Member
Model Number
GSS25KSWASS
Brand
GE
Hello, I have a GE GSS25KSWASS. A couple of weeks ago the fridge wasn't cooling down anymore. I quickly found out that the freezer was...all frozen! I defrosted it manually and checked the heater to find that it was an open circuit! I replaced the heater but after a few hours I started smelling burnt plastic.

It was the heater burning. I, therefore, replaced both the heater and the thermostat thinking that might be the problem... but the heater smells again and I can see the ends of the heater being burnt. I also noticed that during defrost, not only there is quite some bright red glowing, but also the panel covering the heater, coils, etc, gets pretty hot, to the point that it cannot be touched.

After defrosting I can see the temperature of the freezer spiking from -2F to 9F and taking quite a long time to go back (more than 3 hours). I should mention that I replaced the heater with a cheap one found on amazon and not the genuine EOM. Do you think that using a genuine heater would solve the problem? Thank you in advance!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Do you think that using a genuine heater would solve the problem?

Wouldn't hurt!

I also noticed that during defrost, not only there is quite some bright red glowing, but also the panel covering the heater, coils, etc, gets pretty hot, to the point that it cannot be touched. After defrosting I can see the temperature of the freezer spiking from -2F to 9F and taking quite a long time to go back (more than 3 hours).

With nothing in the freezer?
With the freezer 1/2 full or more the defrost is not as noticeable as the mass of the food helps to hold the temp colder.

ge-thermostat-def-wr50x10065-ap3796816_01_l.jpg
LINK> Defrost thermostat

ge-temperature-sensor-wr55x10025-ap3185407_01_l.jpg
LINK> Defrost thermister/sensor

Parts breakdown says either could have been used on your model #.
LINK> Single defrost heater
LINK> Double defrost heater

When the heater is bad or shows definite signs of over heating we replace the sensor and thermostat with the heater.

jeff sr.

Valerio

Premium Member
Thank you Jeff for your help!
With nothing in the freezer?
With the freezer 1/2 full or more the defrost is not as noticeable as the mass of the food helps to hold the temp colder.

Yes, the freezer is completely empty, I can probably load it with something.

When the heater is bad or shows definite signs of overheating we replace the sensor and thermostat with the heater.

Ok. I changed the thermostat but not the termistor. I was assuming that because I am able to see a temperature reading on the display the temp sensor was good, but clearly, I am wrong. I will change that too!

Thank you!!

Valerio

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,

With the freezer half full the situation is now better, I see less temperature swing and faster recovery. I do still notice that the food/bottles etc are covered with ice after a defrost cycle. The smell is still there, but I am waiting for the genuine heater to arrive. One more observation: the pink wire of the heater is connected to the ground. I checked with a multimeter and I can see that there is a short between the pink wire and the ground wire/chassis...is it supposed to be like that?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
With the freezer half full the situation is now better, I see less temperature swing and faster recovery.

Great!

One more observation: the pink wire of the heater is connected to the ground

The pink on a GE often goes through the defrost thermostat to the neutral....while neutral and ground are really the same thing, they should be separate.
A real "short" would trip the breaker or blow a fuse.

Sample diagram only!

sampleSxSdiagram.JPG

jeff sr.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.