• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GSS25SGSBSS lost control voltage

yzolotoy@gmail.

Premium Member
Model Number
GSS25SGSBSS
Brand
GE
Hello. I have GE refrigerator/freezer GSS25SGSBSS. It's not functioning at all, but the light is lit when the door is open. The temp control panel has no power at at all, so my guess I lost 12 V power since the light on water dispenser is also off. Can someone please to post an electrical diagram for it or a troubleshooting guide for the control circuit board?
I already replaced the board but nor results. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Which board did you replace? The motherboard in the back of the refrigerator? Or the temperature control user interface board?

Ok, on the motherboard locate the J4 connector--->Check for 12 Volts DC communication voltage between J4-2 and J4-3.

Rick posted a troubleshooting diagram here:
(click to enlarge)
Motherboard Low Voltage.jpg

Here's the the temperature control user interface board for your model:
Touchpad and Control Panel WR55X10262

Here's the motherboard for your model:
WR55X10942P Main Control Board

Jake

yzolotoy@gmail.

Premium Member
Thank you, Jake. I replaced a motherboard. I had a fluctuating voltage between J4 2 and 3 at first. Then I unplugged all connectors except J4. I had steady 12V DC voltage. I plugged one connector at a time started with J1 then J3. The voltage stayed, but when I plugged J2 I could hear a faint clicking on the board and power on J4 started jumping again. What is the best way to troubleshoot J2 connector? I don't have a pin extraction tool but probably can get one. Thanks.

yzolotoy@gmail.

Premium Member
Jake, one more thing please. I don't have a diagram for my unit but similar show J2-2 being not used. On mine there is a jumper between J2-2 and J2-8 and then there is an out going wire on J2-2. What is it for? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't understand what your trying to do. Pin extraction tool for what?

Its very simple--->On the motherboard locate the J4 connector--->Check for 12 Volts DC communication voltage between J4-2 and J4-3.

If you are not getting 12 Volts DC, then your motherboard is the culprit, if you are getting 12 Volts DC, then your USER INTERFACE is the problem, or you have a broken wire to the USER INTERFACE.

Jake, one more thing please. I don't have a diagram for my unit but similar show J2-2 being not used. On mine there is a jumper between J2-2 and J2-8 and then there is an out going wire on J2-2. What is it for?
I have no clue, its probably a factory test connection.

Jake

yzolotoy@gmail.

Premium Member
Jake, I explain. I am an EE with almost 40 years of troubleshooting. If I learned one thing it is the obvious problem that is looking at you is actually a result of another issue. So actual problem I found was an evaporator motor. When it's in circuit it would pull 12V down emulating no voltage on J4 2-3. That's why I had a good voltage when J2 was unplugged. After I got an access to evaporator motor compartment and unplugged it there, everything else worked fine. The reason to remove pins was to separate circuits for blower fan and condenser motor to see what motor is actually a problem. Thank you very much for your help. Without your diagrams I couldn't do it. In the process of removing evap motor I just realized I already replaced it once before, 3-4 years ago. I guess this motor is a very weak spot in this refrigerator. You are doing a great service to a community with your dedication.