• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GTH18KBRORBB - Replacing ice maker supply line?

terracore

Premium Member
Model Number
GTH18KBRORBB
Brand
GE
I bought a used GE fridge and the water tube that goes from the bottom of the fridge to the freezer on top, on the back side of the appliance is broken. To be clear, this is not the icemaker water supply line from the house, though both connect to the same unit.

It's immediately clear how to disconnect the line from the freezer compartment, but I can't figure out if it's possible to disconnect it from the bottom of the fridge, it looks like the tube is part of the unit. Do I need to replace that whole unit? Or is the method of removing the water tube eluding me? Either way, where do I get a replacement tube? Or is there a fitting to repair the tube?

Also, the fridge is going to be in the lanai where there is no water line for it and I will be feeding the ice maker from a 5 gallon jug. I've seen cheap products for this purpose in the past but all I can find now is over $100. Any ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, not following you. The only water line going into the freezer section is the ice maker fill line. Pictures might help.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It looks like the icemaker was added after the fact. I don't know which I/M kit or what style of water valve was installed. The kit's number should be on a sticker on the rear of the fridge. If you can post that information we might be able to look up what type of water valve was installed with it.

Some water valves use 'John Guest' fittings. Although for a tubing connector, you can read how they work with this image. Your water valve might use something similar.

image.jpeg

I will be feeding the ice maker from a 5 gallon jug.

A refrigerator water valve needs a *minimum* of 20 PSI water pressure (120 PSI max.) for the valve to function properly without flooding the refrigerator. Unless your water jug has some sort of pump it likely won't work. Maybe try manual ice cube trays?

Dan O.

terracore

Premium Member
Untitled.png

The red arrow is pointing to the fitting with the line that is broken. It goes to the ice maker. Or more accurately it would, if it wasn't broken.

Disregard, I figured it out. I just had to pull harder. There was enough slack in the line I was able to connect the line to the blue thing.

Last edited: