• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GTH21KBXAWW - Both fans bad after lightning strike

riverman

Premium Member
Model Number
GTH21KBXAWW
Brand
GE
Got hit through my propane line. Wiped out the furnace, ac and well control box. Next day noticed refrigerator was not working. So I have a new fridge and I thought I would check out the old one. Noticed the condenser fan, and the fan inside were not running. I have power at the condenser fan so it has to be bad.

Right now I have a small fan pulling air out the back at the condenser coil. The compressor is pulling less than a 100 watts and the freezer compartment is down to 15 degrees F at the back. Are the fans that touchy that a spike through the ground side could get them and nothing else on it.

The power to out house was out when the lightning hit. It got the furnace through the ground side from the propane line. So the fridge was not even running when it got spiked. It's 12 years old so probably not worth buying the fans. Any thoughts.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are the fans that touchy that a spike through the ground side could get them and nothing else on it.
The real old ones of 30 years ago were NOT touchy, the newer ones are.

I always recommend whole home surge protectors, Surges do damage by hunting for earth ground destructively via appliances. A surge connected to earth by a 'whole house' protector doesn't go hunting for earth destructive via any appliance.

My whole home surge protector is outside where the main electric meter and breaker box are located, it sends the surge directly to earth ground outside before it comes into the house.

Here's the whole home surge protector my electrician installed on my house: Stabl-Power Series 1

We had a lighting strike year a few years ago, my neighbors AC took a hit and none of my appliances did, Thanks to my whole home surge protector.

Jake

riverman

Premium Member
Its 12 years old. I have a surge protector on my power line right before it comes down into house. I had the power company install it. Might have helped but I got hit pretty hard. The power was off at the time. It hit a tree 20' from my copper propane and followed it all the way to the furnace.

I have burn marks where the gas line enters the furnace, around the refrigerant lines etc. It blew the ground wires apart at the furnace power switch and inside the furnace junction box. The propane service guy is going to replace my regulators and put a dielectric union outside the house when we go back with the new furnace and ac. Got my well control box also. Everything else was ok.

Desktop computer and tv system both have a backup power supply surge protector. I had the computer unplugged anyway. Wife had the washer and dryer unplugged. I have the fridge out in the garage right now. I don't know if I want to risk buying new fans for it or haul it to the scrap yard. I also checked the defrost timer and it was running.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it! Yes it sounds like you got hit extremely hard, did it blow out your whole home surge protector?

Mine has 2 green lights on it, if they turn red, its done! LOL

Unfortunately your condenser fan motor is No Longer Available:

Jake

riverman

Premium Member
The one on the power line looks ok, no lights on it to look at. My APC on the tv system is ok. Computer one was unplugged. The way it came in on the propane line and the power being already off made for some weird surges. It followed the ground back to breaker box from the furnace. I think I found an alternate part number for the condenser fan but its over $100.00. Upper fan price wasn't too bad. I'm leaning towards scraping it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it!

IMO--->I wouldn't take a chance on a alternate part number, you're always suppose to use the OEM part number that I posted in post #4.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that's fine then, are you going to order it?

Are you getting 120 volts to it, but its not running?

Jake

riverman

Premium Member
Yeah its got 120 volts at the fan. The upper one is wired in with it so would have to have voltage also. Neither one is running. I have a new fridge in the house so I'm no hurry with this one.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good!

Jake