• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator GTS18ICMBRWW Icemaker keeps filling with water

Luke Finley

Premium Member
Model Number
GTS18ICMBRWW
Brand
GE
I have a GE fridge where the icemaker stopped working. The fingers were stuck in the down position, so mid-cycle. Easy enough right? I replaced the icemaker. The new icemaker was set to off when I plugged it in. As soon as the icemaker was plugged in, water started flowing from the fill line.

The icemaker kit had a water valve in it so I replaced that too. I figured at 20 years old it couldn't hurt. Same problem. I turned the water off and checked voltage. The new icemaker is sending a constant 122 volts to the water valve. I put the old icemaker in and it has the same issue. I forced the fingers around to multiple positions and it was still sending 122 volts to the water valve. Never ran into this problem before. Any Ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like the new ice maker is bad. Where did you get it? What’s the part number?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick is exactly correct. Defective ice maker right out of the box.

I just looked up the ice maker for your model and it does NOT come in a kit with a new water inlet valve, so its possibly a cheap aftermarket kit that we don't recommend people buy.

To fix it you need the OEM ice maker: WR30X10093 Electromechanical Icemaker Kit

Jake

Luke Finley

Premium Member
I thought the same thing until I put the old icemaker in and forced it around. It still showed constant power to the water valve. The kit I put in is an IM4D icemaker kit from GE. I’m open to trying another icemaker, but since the old one did the same thing as the new one I have my doubts. My other thought was-if the old icemaker was stuck in a harvest position for who knows how long, could some of the wiring in the case overheated and fused together a little bit?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
IM4D won’t work on your machine and on GE ice makers if you manually rotate the ejector rake you’ll damage the contacts.
Does the water valve run with the ice maker unplugged? Disconnect the wire connector on the ice maker coil on the water valve and check for a short on the two wires.

Luke Finley

Premium Member
The water only runs when the icemaker is plugged in, even if the icemaker is turned off. When I first plugged it in I thought maybe it was just in the fill position. It just kept filling though. The old water valve and the new water valve both do the same thing. Even the new and ol icemaker do the same thing. I’ve never had an icemaker do this and there’s no wiring diagram I can find. The icemaker controls don’t go through the cold control or defrost timer do they?

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Here is your mini manual.

Attachments

• 31-51377 GE GTS18ICMBRWW Refrigerator Mini Manual.pdf
    430.6 KB · Views: 37