• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator PFE29PSDCSS - Fans all turning, air blowing, air not cold

sethbest

Premium Member
Model Number
PFE29PSDCSS
Brand
GE
GE PFE29PSDCSS I checked the back panel, cleaned the compressor coils and checked the compressor fan. Fan is running fine. Inside I checked both the lower and upper evaporator motors, they both are running too, blowing air (I replaced the upper evaporator fan last year when only the top of the unit stopped cooling).

Since it's blowing air it doesn't sound like a fan issue to me. What's the most likely culprit? The compressor? Could any sensors be involved (thermostats are reporting temperatures as 53 degrees in the fridge part and 30 in the freezer).

The unit has had ice and water buildup for a long time, so there could be a defroster issue going on, though I don't know if that would cause this. Also this problem came up after a night long power outage. The unit was working fine and then stopped when power came back on... I assume its unrelated though.

Hopefully these symptoms point to something obvious.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put your hand on the top of the compressor and see if its warm/hot and vibrating.

Jake

sethbest

Premium Member
Not warm and not vibrating. There are some slight ticks that might be coming from it when the unit first gets plugged in but it's otherwise silent.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then your compressor inverter is possibly bad. To check your compressor inverter, read below.

Here's the compressor inverter board for your model:

Rick tells how to test it, start reading at post #2 here:

Jake

sethbest

Premium Member
Thanks,
I gave up on testing it myself, it's apparently impossible with a 1 and 5 year old running around and screaming. I'm having a tech out tomorrow to do a $75 diagnostic, but if they confirm it at least I have the exact part I can order and its price online thanks to you.
I'll update after it gets looked at.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Seth, sounds good, let us know what the tech. finds.:)

Jake

sethbest

Premium Member
He said the inverter board was fine and that the compressor was bad. Said it would be impractical to get a new compressor and to get the coolant redone with it with labor ontop. I'm inclined to agree, but would be interested in opinions here. I see you can get a replacement compressor for around $400, but I'm not sure what the additional costs would be.

sethbest

Premium Member
Bought a Whirlpool. I'm sick of GE. Even got a 5 year extended warranty, though I usually think those are a scam and fix my own stuff. This fridge has been such a headache, though I'll miss the auto-fill feature (but better to have one that just cools reliably without breaking every two years).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Bought a Whirlpool
Excellent Seth, very good choice.(y)

Everything in my house is Whirlpool and Maytag and no problems in 20 years!

Jake