• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator PFSS5RKZHSS Air duct motor runs continuously for icemaker

oldtimer73

Premium Member
Model Number
PFSS5RKZHSS
Brand
GE
Recently installed new air duct motor for GE ice maker. Ice maker unit is working but I have noticed the air duct motor runs continuously I do not know if that is normal or it should cycle on and off either by a sensor or motherboard. Appreciate any info on this issue since I do not think motor should run constantly.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, the fan will turn off when the compressor turns off or if the machine is in defrost mode. The fan's duty cycle is 100%.
Ice Hardening mode: Fan on high speed, while compressor is on.
Ice Storage mode: Fan on low speed, while compressor is on.

oldtimer73

Premium Member
Thank you for that information. I have heard the air duct motor running all day from 7am to when I go to bed at 1100pm.DOES THE COMPRESSOR NORMALLY SHUT OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT? In that 1100pm -700am time frame? Ice maker is working-ok and refrigerator is operating fine. I am just concerned never hearing motor shutdown. Again thanks for your help

rickgburton

Staff member
DOES THE COMPRESSOR NORMALLY SHUT OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT? In that 1100pm -700am time frame?
Refrigerators can't tell time and there's no clock in there anyways. The control uses the information from the sensors to know when to cycle off/on or start a defrost cycle. What settings are you using?

oldtimer73

Premium Member
Hi rick my normal settings for my freezer were-2 and fresh food section-38. I tried turning off entirely cooling operation from front door control which apparently worked since no air was coming from evaporator fan motor.

I kept it off for approx five minutes but to my surprise air duct motor keeps running. I then returned back to my original settings of freezer -2 and fresh foods -38 and frig returned to normal operation.

Puzzling I am glad refrigerator is operating ok just concerned air duct motor never shuts off hoping it will not take out main control board. Anyway again thanks for your help.

rickgburton

Staff member
Setting either or both controls to OFF stops cooling in both the freezer and refrigerator compartments, but does not shut off electrical power to the refrigerator.