• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Refrigerator PSS26MSWASS Ice fills but auger keeps binding up

Quadna71

Premium Member
Model Number
PSS26MSWASS
Brand
GE
Our machine makes ice just fine, but when you try to dispense the auger will make 1 or 2 turns then it will bind up. When this happens I pull the bucket up/out and can see that there is ice in by the teeth of the auger that seem to be wedged in tightly. If I spin the auger in reverse by hand 1/2 turn and place the tub back in the freezer, it will usually dispense 2 or 3 cubes before it makes a horrible sound and binds to a stop again. I’ve dumped the ice out a handful of times and closely inspected everything, but I can’t see anything wrong. The white cup on the back end of the auger (that locates it in the auger motor arms) is in good shape and I have replaced it a couple times over the past 10 years when it has developed cracks. So what I’m saying is that think I would recognize an issue with that cup if I saw it. Also, the chute lever is operating correctly as I can see it flip open immediately when I try to dispense ice.

So how do I know if the auger itself is to blame and I need to replace it? Or perhaps one or more of the blades are the culprit? Or does the whole bucket assembly need to be replaced on this model? Or, is there a chance the auger motor has weakened over time and the binding is simply the motor not strong enough to crank the auger and dispense? It seems difficult to eliminate one or the other and I’m hesitant to drop $300 on a new bucket assembly only to learn that the motor is to blame.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When it binds up, open the freezer door and take the ice bucket out, then hold the light switch in, then press the ice dispenser lever and see if the auger motor keeps turning and NOT making that horrible sound.

Here's the auger motor for your model:
WR60X10259 Auger Motor

Here's the bucket and auger assembly for your model:
Ice Bucket Assembly WR17X11447

Jake

Quadna71

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I’ve tried that during my previous troubleshooting - it turns right away. And I can see the ice that is jammed in the blade area at the end of the auger. But I wasn’t sure if the motors ever “weaken” and aren’t able to turn with their normal amount of torque. I’ve pulled the bucket apart a couple times while changing cups in the back and even took it all apart once while troubleshooting an issue with the water freezing up (it was the door not closing completely after dispensing ice - replaced it and all better).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What I do is the second the auger motor binds up, remove the ice bucket and then press the door switch in and see if the auger motor turns when you press the ice dispenser lever, if so your auger motor is good.

Jake

Quadna71

Premium Member
Thanks again, Jake. I’m going to test that a couple more times tonight to confirm the conditions didn’t change. Sure wish it was the motor - it’s half the price!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

So to answer your question on auger motor weakness, the answer is no, either the motor will run or not run, no in-between.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake

Quadna71

Premium Member
@Jake - thanks again for the help. The new ice bucket assembly arrived this afternoon and it has dispensed about a 6 cups of ice without so much as a hiccup. Ordered it from Appliance Parts Pros on Thursday evening, so receiving it less than 48 hours later was pretty great!

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Chris, glad to hear the new ice bucket assembly fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.