• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator PSS26NGPBBB freezer jumping in temperature

Jeffro69

Premium Member
Model Number
PSS26NGPBBB
Brand
GE
Pulling my hair out on this thing..
Had a problem last week of freezer to high 40s temp. Pulled back cover off and it was a ice block towards top half to third. Thawed it out,assembled and ordered parts.

. Replaced thermisistor,thermostat, and heater...with a 12 dollar set from ebay.....also a ge circuit board as well. Old thermostat did test bad

Ran fine for a couple days...though freezer temp would be up and down by 4 to 6 degrees...

Freezer started to jump in temp...40s again. I unplugged and put my old board back in. Cooled off and was fine for maybe 24 hours and then freezer went up again to 15 degrees...and is now cooling off.

Fan supply 13.60 v
Evap fan 12.87 v
condenser fan 11.92

thermisistors seem to be in spec....i found the pin outs on here and followed them

Any advice? I'd sure like to get a few more years out of this thing.

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Pulled back cover off and it was a ice block towards top half to third.
Hi Jeff, can you please take a photo of your evaporator coil in the freezer and upload it here? I need to see your frost pattern of it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Jeffro69

Premium Member
Well...did not take a pic.
I bought a piercing valve and checked refrigerant. 1 .5 psi...thought it was low so jumped it to 4.5.

Currently waiting for temp stabilization. Frig did do a thaw again today...my ice was partial block of ice again.

I bought a freezer for the basement about 5 years ago...2 years later it shut down. Ended up adding refrigerant and its still working.

I'm hoping this works...if not I might go further with other parts...just not compressor....i do appreciate help and response though.

Btw....i am a electrician and 95% of the time I can have a voltage issue fixed within the hour...this stuff just takes me longrr...but the reading I did on your forum gave me more info than anywhere!

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jeff, sounds like a plan.(y)

Yes, we have lots of information here.:)

Jake

Jeffro69

Premium Member
Update!

16 years old and in talking with someone local...sounds like a sealed system issue.

Going on curb today!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking too, that's why I needed to see a photo of the evaporator coil to confirm it.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Jeffro69

Premium Member
I've realized experience can see that...thank you.

Fyi...cheap top mount freezer 18cu ft. Frig has surprisingly lots of room in fridge compared to 25.5 side doors.

I will not buy expensive appliances!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Fyi...cheap top mount freezer 18cu ft. Frig has surprisingly lots of room in fridge compared to 25.5 side doors.
Yes, that is true.:)

I will not buy expensive appliances!
I agree 100%, that is very wise, no sense in getting bells and whistles with new appliances!

Jake