• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE refrigerator PSS26SHRCSS temperature control board out and freezer not freezing

Baileylashells

Premium Member
Model Number
PSS26SHRCSS
Brand
GE
GE profile side by side refrigerator model number PSS26SHRCSS. The lighted temperature display inside the refrigerator portion is completely dead as well as the freezer will not freeze items and is slowly thawing out food. Certain part to check? Replace? Should I just buy new? Adding: Interior lights work in both refrigerator and freezer as well as water dispenser lighting up and working though the ice maker is making ice keeps thawing and having to dump it out. Unplugged for a couple minutes and plugged it in now ice seems to be holding. Could "resetting" have fixed the issue and the lights on temperature panel is just a bad bulb or sign of major issues to come soon? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210422_155046095.jpg
    IMG_20210422_155046095.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 15

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
How is it doing now?

Are the display lights still out?

Do you hear the fan in the freezer running? Also pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel and see if the compressor and condenser fan motor, that mounts next to the compressor are both running.

Its possibly the motherboard is failing.

Here's the motherboard for your model:
ge-board-with-core-wr55x10942p-ap6048447_01_l.jpg

Jake

Baileylashells

Premium Member
Thank you. Still running now. Did pull it out and both compressor and motor seem to be working without issue after the "reset" of unplugging it. The lights on the water/ice dispenser have worked all along it's just the temperature control board at the top of the refrigerator just inside the door that is out and I can't get them back on (attaching photo) of what I mean. Can't figure out anything on how to fix that after many hours of searching. Worried it's the 1st sign of the whole thinking taking a crap and wondered if others had experienced the same.

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_075830962~2.jpg
    IMG_20210423_075830962~2.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 13

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The motherboard I posted above SUPPLIES power to your display board, so its possibly the motherboard is no longer sending power to the display board, thus its blank.

If you have a volt meter you can check if you have the proper volts at the display board, if not order the motherboard, if you do have proper volts to the display board, then your display board is bad, but Its No Longer Available, so then you'd be refrigerator shopping at that point.

Check for 120 Volts AC supply voltage across J11 (L1) and J7-9 (N). Check for 13 Volts DC communication voltage across J4-2 and J4-3. Here's the board pinouts:

WR55X10942-1.jpg

WR55X10942-2 (2).jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Baileylashells

Premium Member
Still no temperature control buttons in the front but so far so good with the rest of the unit. Will definitely come back and grab the part and post if it does fail so others know to be prepared. Appreciate the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also post if it fixes it too.:)

We love updates here!

Did you volt test to make sure it will fix it like I mentioned above?

Jake