• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Refrigerator PWE23KSKGSS lights dim

DCAWD

Premium Member
Model Number
PWE23KSKGSS
Brand
GE
The LED lights in the fridge cabinet of my GE are very dim. None of the bulbs seems to be out. No flickering, just dim. Freezer lights are working fine, and no other issues noted. Appreciate any thoughts on diagnosing and troubleshooting what might be the issue. Fridge is 4.5 years old, no issues to date. Thanks

DCAWD

Premium Member
The LED lights in the fridge cabinet of my GE are very dim. None of the bulbs seems to be out. No flickering, just dim. Freezer lights are working fine, and no other issues noted. Appreciate any thoughts on diagnosing and troubleshooting what might be the issue. Fridge is 4.5 years old, no issues to date. Thanks
Cant edit: Note that CORRECT MODEL NUMBER IS: PWE23KSKGSS

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

DCAWD

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for the suggestion and the links (and for fixing the model number). Question--both switches appear to be working--with doors open if I press both, the lights go out. If I release either switch (with other pressed closed), the lights come on. So, from a purely off/on perspective, the switches seem to be working as intended. Could they still be contributing to the issue of lights being dim? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could they still be contributing to the issue of lights being dim?
No, the light switches should be fine then, so the motherboard would be the culprit, which is located in the back of the refrigerator.

Here's the motherboard for your model:

Another person mentioned that here too:

Jake

DCAWD

Premium Member
No, the light switches should be fine then, so the motherboard would be the culprit, which is located in the back of the refrigerator.
Jake, thanks for this and the helpful links.

1. Is there a way to test the motherboard to confirm that that's the cause of the problem? Online I understand the problem is often the motherboard, but in one case I read that it was the transformer. If possible, I'd like to confirm I'm going after the correct problem part before I purchase an expensive part.

2. Also, in the Q&A section someone had exactly the same problem as mine (but in different model number). The responder suggested checking if one of the LED lights has a short (see pasted text below). If all of my LEDs are lit (but dim), might there still be a short? Appreciate your thoughts as to whether this might be the cause of the problem. And if this is worth trying, what gauge jumper wire I should use to check for shorted LEDs?

Many thanks

"Lights in main refrigerator went dim. Meat/Cheese drawers bright. I unplugged refrigerator and waited 10 minutes. Plugged back in but lights still dim. What is the solution? Thank you.

ANSWER R, it would be very likely that one of the LEDs WR55X11132 has a short. This can be identified by taping the door switches shut, removing one of the LEDs, and inserting a jumper wire into the wire harness. Remove the tape from one of the switches to identify if the lights are brighter or not. If they do get brighter, the LED that was removed would be the cause of failure. If not, put the LED back in and repeat this process for each of the lights in the refrigerator. If they do not get brighter at any time, the main control WR55X38248 has failed.

Last edited:

DCAWD

Premium Member
UPDATE: I need a new bulb. I looked v closely at the LEDs and noticed that one was a bit dimmer, and flickered slightly. I removed the LED fitting and used a thin gauge wire to jump the harness and the other lights brightened immediately to normal levels.

Question: While I wait for a replacement bulb will leaving the jumper wire in place cause any damage? Or should I just put the faulty light back in place?

For replacement, I see this part on the site you linked earlier: WR55X11132

Is it possible to just replace the bulb or must one typically buy the entire assembly (cover and bulb)?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
UPDATE: I need a new bulb. I looked v closely at the LEDs and noticed that one was a bit dimmer, and flickered slightly. I removed the LED fitting and used a thin gauge wire to jump the harness and the other lights brightened immediately to normal levels.
There you go, that's how you tell when one is dimmer and/or flickering more than the others. If I would of known that from your first post I would of mentioned replacing that LED instead of the motherboard.:)

Question: While I wait for a replacement bulb will leaving the jumper wire in place cause any damage? Or should I just put the faulty light back in place?
It should not hurt to leave the jumper in while you wait for the new bulb.

For replacement, I see this part on the site you linked earlier: WR55X11132

Is it possible to just replace the bulb or must one typically buy the entire assembly (cover and bulb)?
You can only replace the LED as a assembly.

Jake

DCAWD

Premium Member
Thanks you for the responses. I’ve ordered the replacement bulb assembly. Hopefully it will take care of things.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good.:)

Jake