• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Refrigerator TFX27R - Ice maker not making ice Model MSE1

thehill

Premium Member
Model Number
TFX27R
Brand
GE
Now that I have the fridge cooling properly, I decided to checkout the ice maker and see why it wasn't making ice. So I uninstalled it put it on a bench and took a look inside along with the wiring diagram to see how it works. I see the thermostat closes to start the cycle if the lever arm is down. The motor and heater will be powered and the motor drives a cam which operates hold and water valve switch as well as lifts the arm. I checked the operation of all of the switches with ohm meter and they operate when the buttons are released / depressed. I powered the ice maker on the bench and it ran through a cycle. I put it back in the refrigerator and it made ice perfectly one time. I noticed the arm was still lifted part way. So i put it down and it makes ice again and arm is still up. I repeated this process several times. So I took the ice maker apart and it appears the spring is the issue. The problem is when I first opened I didn't notice how the spring went in so I'm not sure if I have it correct. The spring does not provide any tension.

I can only see 4 ways it can go on the rod (see photo with letters:

1. Long side at A in photo facing up
2. long side at A facing down
3. Long side at B facing up
4. Long side at B facing down.

But no matter how I place it, I cant hook it onto the cam nor does it seem to push against anything to provide tension. Does the spring just sit below the washer and do the ends hook to anything? Could the spring be bent or broke. Comparing it with those I can find online it isn't the same shape but the different springs I see online don't match either. I've attached photos. I'd really appreciate any help I can get. I'm really stuck!

IMG_8313.JPG IMG_8251.JPG IMG_8120.jpg

IMG_8308.JPG IMG_8309.JPG IMG_8311.JPG

IMG_8312.JPG IMG_8114.jpg IMG_8116.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8120.jpg
    IMG_8120.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 23

thehill

Premium Member
Thanks so much for your reply!!!

If I understand what you are trying to tell me you want me to reverse the long side of spring to be at face B of the box. Then should the long side point up or down? Then does it just sit on the arm with the washer above it as shown in the photos? Then the bail arm aligns to fit through the hole on brass box cover? Does the weight of the arm depress the switch when the cam lets it and the tension just helps the arm to come back down? If I don't have enough tension once I put it back together and try it then do I just bend the spring to get more?

I was a little confused if you are saying the short end of the spring rides on the brass cam arm then the spring must sit much lower somehow but don't see anyway for that to happen unless I push it down on the bail arm shaft which I would not think is correct
.IMG_8329.JPG
IMG_8330.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
This is one of those things where if it was in front of me, I'd have it together in a few seconds. LOL It's kind of like tying a sneaker. You've done it a million times but try explaining how to do it over a phone...lol I'll see if I can find a pic.

thehill

Premium Member
yea I know. That's why I'm trying to show you what I've tried. I just don't see how it works. Thanks for your help!

rickgburton

Staff member
no pic yet. maybe this will help. one end of that spring has to touch the brass arm to supply tension. maybe lift the bail arm to the off position then try to install it so there's tension against the brass arm. I'm pretty sure it's the shorter end that rest against the arm/

thehill

Premium Member
no pic yet. maybe this will help. one end of that spring has to touch the brass arm to supply tension. maybe lift the bail arm to the off position then try to install it so there's tension against the brass arm. I'm pretty sure it's the shorter end that rest against the arm/
Thanks. I've tried that. The problem is unless I push the spring past the two bends the tab on the spring is too high to contact the arm. See below but also my photos above.

IMG_8306.JPG

But then the spring would have to ride in the slot of the brass arm which I dont think is correct.

But right now I got bigger problems. The ice maker hose connect off the end of the valve and flooded my basement. The valve is a newer valve where the hoses push in and the inlet has a compression connection. Any advice for that?

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Staff member

paulhl

Premium Member
LOL, I can tell you how to repair a SZ/Wolf but post a pic? In your pic if you rotate the spring ccw until long end hits side, the short end goes over bend below spring. In your pic the arm is too far into the slot to do that

thehill

Premium Member
LOL, I can tell you how to repair a SZ/Wolf but post a pic? In your pic if you rotate the spring ccw until long end hits side, the short end goes over bend below spring. In your pic the arm is too far into the slot to do that
Thank you paul for your advice and you for your efforts rick. When you say your pic are you talking about the pic rick marked up? if so I think you want the long end to hit the face at B. Are you saying the the spring should hook on the bend of the bale arm instead of the brass arm? I'll make a pic of what I think you are saying and post it. Good thing were not trying to do open heart surgery here :)

As for the water incident, either the clear tubing broke or it slipped out of the compression fitting. I'm going to put braided hoses on instead of the tubing. I have copper tubing to a shut off valve at the wall. From there going with braided hose. I'm going to install a flood stop unit which will shut a solenoid valve installed on the outlet of the shutoff valve. I don't want to clean up another flooded basement!

I'll make a pic

rickgburton

Staff member
Some of those anti-burst hoses can leave a foul taste in your water and ice. Just use straight copper.

thehill

Premium Member
IMG_8367.JPG
Back to the spring. I know this is probably really simple and when I see how it works I'm going to feel stupid but I just don't get see how this spring can connect to the bale arm or the brass arm without pussing the spring down past the bend to the second vertical section on the bale arm. But It doesn't seem like it should go there either. If anyone has a picture it would be appreciated.

paulhl

Premium Member
IT DOESN'T, FORGET ABOUT THE BRASS LEVER. Sorry. Take that small end on the left and rotate it it under the arm. Easier if you move the large end up and out of enclosure, less tension. Then just put it back. You're almost there

rickgburton

Staff member
If you absolutely can't get it figured, I have the same refrigerator and ice maker and I can take it apart. I don't want to because she's old and after I take it apart it won't work right. I just know it! lol

thehill

Premium Member
IMG_8394.JPG
Is
IMG_8391.JPG
IMG_8395.JPG
IMG_8393.JPG

Is this it? Put it back together and it seems to feel right! I feel stupid it was so simple! Thanks for the guidance. looks like taking the end of the spring out of the box was the trick.

Attachments

• IMG_8392.JPG
    IMG_8392.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 24