• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Refrigerator ZISS420DRAS Evaporator fan keeps icing over/freezing

greg9840

Premium Member
Model Number
ZISS420DRAS
Brand
GE
I had a technician come to my house because my GE side-by-side freezer and fridge were warm. Freezer was set to zero and was running at 28 degrees and the fridge was set to 37 and was running at over 50 degrees. He determined my evaporator fan in the back of the freezer had iced over. He said there was a problem with my ice chute flap that was letting warm air into the freezer and he replaced the flap.

After he replaced it, the fan is still icing over. The technician checked the freezer seal and said it's perfect, and the flap is perfect, and he says the issue must be that there is a lot of ice built up in the top of the freezer from when the flap was bad, and when it defrosts, it's dripping water onto the fan, and then the water is freezing on the fan, icing it up. He said what I need to do it turn everything off for 24 hours to let all the ice melt with the doors open, and then turn it back on.

This is obviously going to be a huge pain because I have nowhere to put all my food that is currently in the fridge and freezer. Does what the technician said make sense? Are there any workarounds where I can melt ice collected above the fan without having to turn everything off for 24 hours? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Try the 24 hour defrosting with the doors open and unit unplugged.....then see what happens.

Sorry, no short cuts.

JMO!

jeff sr.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.